Water changes with backyard hose

Scaperoot

In an effort to save time, and my back, I'm considering refilling my tanks (water changes) by using our backward hose. My only concern is the water temperature. Our warmest tanks run at 75-76. The rest at 72. The water coming from the hose is much warmer than that. The cold water tanks have Minnows, Mollies, barbs, Corydoras, and snails. The warmer tanks have a Betta in each, and Nano fish. Is using the hose with the colder tanks even an option? I don't want to stress the fish. I'm in South Florida. 

Hello,

I'm in southeast Texas, so I have a similar climate, and I have tubs outside that I fill from the hose.  Initially the water coming from the hose is very warm this time of year, but if I let it run for a few minutes it will get noticeably cooler.  Have you tried that?

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 8:46 AM, JettsPapa said:

Hello,

I'm in southeast Texas, so I have a similar climate, and I have tubs outside that I fill from the hose.  Initially the water coming from the hose is very warm this time of year, but if I let it run for a few minutes it will get noticeably cooler.  Have you tried that?

I haven't tried that yet. I was hesitant since the water was so warm. 

On 8/11/2023 at 8:56 AM, Lennie said:

How big are your water changes? Approximately what % ? 

I try to do 30% every 7-10 days on the 10 and 20 gallon tanks. Occasionally, I'll do 40-50% on the 40 gallon depending on parameters.  

Are you able to get a temp on the water?  You can calculate resulting temp by multiplying the temps by the percentage of water - for example a 20% change on a 74 degree tank replacing with 81 degree water would be : 80%*74 + 20%*81 = 75.4 degrees.

Conventional wisdom seems to be to not let water change temp by more than 3 degrees.  I have done it from time to time though as the water coming out of my tap is usually above 80 degrees in the summer but I try not to.

if the temps dont work but want to save your back anyway I’d try the following-

- Buy a cheap fountain pump on Amazon with a decent flowrate.

- still use buckets but fill them next to your tank with the hose.

- let the buckets sit overnight or however long it takes to bring them temp down enough.

- use the new pump to pump the water into your tank.

I use a pump like this to pump water from my tank out a nearby window when changing water.  I pump new water from the buckets into my tank.  It has been a game changer.

On 8/11/2023 at 10:00 AM, _Eric_ said:

Are you able to get a temp on the water?  You can calculate resulting temp by multiplying the temps by the percentage of water - for example a 20% change on a 74 degree tank replacing with 81 degree water would be : 80%*74 + 20%*81 = 75.4 degrees.

Conventional wisdom seems to be to not let water change temp by more than 3 degrees.  I have done it from time to time though as the water coming out of my tap is usually above 80 degrees in the summer but I try not to.

if the temps dont work but want to save your back anyway I’d try the following-

- Buy a cheap fountain pump on Amazon with a decent flowrate.

- still use buckets but fill them next to your tank with the hose.

- let the buckets sit overnight or however long it takes to bring them temp down enough.

- use the new pump to pump the water into your tank.

I use a pump like this to pump water from my tank out a nearby window when changing water.  I pump new water from the buckets into my tank.  It has been a game changer.

I will begin checking the temp to see how big the discrepancy is. I tried using a pump for water changes before, but it stopped working after a couple uses. Not sure if I just got a bad pump. 

On 8/11/2023 at 10:30 AM, _Eric_ said:

Here is the pump I use for what it’s worth.  I’ve had it for a little over a year.  Im sure there are others that are just as good.  It was a couple of bucks cheaper when I got it.

Amazon Pump Link

I got a diffuser thing off Etsy so it doesn’t blast sand everywhere when I’m filling.

Thanks. I'll definitely start filling the buckets by bringing the hose in, and leave them overnight to cool for now. If I do the pump, I'll post an update. 

I use these pumps I’m not gentle with them and they have lasted 2 years still going strong. The waste water one pumps debris I siphon through it and still runs fine296F2A88-4436-4B58-AD56-11115A34C1A4.png.508445e8a080ce518144b55d5834ec5c.png

VIVOSUN 800GPH Submersible... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L54HB83?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I drilled holes in the measuring cup to diffuse water going in the tank. (idea courtesy of @JettsPapa)  

image.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/11/2023 at 10:42 AM, Guppysnail said:

I use these pumps I’m not gentle with them and they have lasted 2 years still going strong. The waste water one pumps debris I siphon through it and still runs fine296F2A88-4436-4B58-AD56-11115A34C1A4.png.508445e8a080ce518144b55d5834ec5c.png

VIVOSUN 800GPH Submersible... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L54HB83?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I drilled holes in the measuring cup to diffuse water going in the tank. (idea courtesy of @JettsPapa)  

image.jpg

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you do to rig a siphon to work on that pump?  Very interested in adding that capability to my arsenal 

I can try to find a video showing it if you want, but I know some people will put a bucket in their kitchen sink with a pump in it, get the temperature right, leave the flow on (any overflow will just go down the sink's drain), then turn the pump on so the water flows out of the bucket and into the tank. I know I've seen people on this forum do that, I just can't remember who.

On 8/11/2023 at 8:59 AM, Guppysnail said:

I siphon into a 5 gallon bucket and the pump sits in the bucket. 

916ACEF6-6756-4CC1-8D6F-BE5C59A2BC71.jpeg

Not to thread jack, but how did you do the curtains (are those Imagitarium stands)?

I would guess that the water in the hose has heated up.  However, once that initial water is empty, you would get water from pipes in the ground, which should be cooler.

Edited by Galabar

On 8/11/2023 at 2:11 PM, Galabar said:

Not to thread jack, but how did you do the curtains (are those Imagitarium stands)?

Yes Imagitarium. Tension rods and loop curtains for stands with tanks under I only occasionally use so they can be pulled back when in use. 
Magnetic hooks on others for tool hanging. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1