Hello!

Hi, I am Carol, AKA furfinsandfire, and I am a long-term fishkeeper. I have been keeping fish since I was 9 years old and have kept a large variety over the years. 

Currently, I have a fish room with over 20 tanks and over 1200 gallons of water with a continuous water change drip system.

I currently focus on freshwater pufferfish (11 species) and oddballs, but still love my discus and goldfish too.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

fishroom.JPG

• Like 3
  • Love 6

Oh its so nice to meet you Carol, I’m CJ. Relatively newer to fishkeeping (4+ yrs) but I feel I’ve grown quite a bit in my hobby. I love your fish room and set up, but more importantly love that we keep the same sort of species. I’m a huge puffer nerd and gravitate towards the oddballs as well. I’m excited to follow your journey.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 10:43 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

Oh its so nice to meet you Carol, I’m CJ. Relatively newer to fishkeeping (4+ yrs) but I feel I’ve grown quite a bit in my hobby. I love your fish room and set up, but more importantly love that we keep the same sort of species. I’m a huge puffer nerd and gravitate towards the oddballs as well. I’m excited to follow your journey.

Nice to meet you as well. What oddballs are you keeping? Aside from puffers, I really love my birchir, ropefish, knives, and mormyrids

• Like 1

I keep pea puffers, Mekong’s, and my favorites are 2 colonies of dragons with intentions of trying to get them to breed one day…I love my bichir as well, I also have the dojo loaches which I would classify as odd, as well as some others like hillstreams, red lizard whiptails, spotted lizard loach, I suppose the blue tails goodeid are a bit different perhaps the tiger limia as well, not necessarily what I would generally classify as “oddball” but probably not that sought after either, many other not oddball species in my small fishroom, currently only 11 tanks and some “projects” but plans for quite a few different species in the future…

• Like 2

Hi Carol. I’m Kerry. It’s nice to meet you. Your room is stunning to look at. I think puffers are fascinating though I’m to intimidated to keep them. 

Check out some of @mountaintoppufferkeeper journals. I love reading their puffer breeding journals. I’m looking forward to living the puffer life vicariously through you as well. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 6:27 AM, Furfinsandfire said:

Hi, I am Carol, AKA furfinsandfire, and I am a long-term fishkeeper. I have been keeping fish since I was 9 years old and have kept a large variety over the years. 

Currently, I have a fish room with over 20 tanks and over 1200 gallons of water with a continuous water change drip system.

I currently focus on freshwater pufferfish (11 species) and oddballs, but still love my discus and goldfish too.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

fishroom.JPG

Awesome. Nice to meet you. Im not at that 11 level thats amazing.  Maybe someday :).

I do almost exclusively freshwater puffers in colonys and work on breeding, raising, and sharing them one way or another.

Im always curious how my higher altitude, at 9,100 feet or so,  changes behaviors and processes in the puffers vs other setups.

My current fishroom family members are colonys of ....

1.Pao palustris mekong river puffers

2.Tetraodon schoutedeni spotted congo

3. Pao baileyi Hairy puffer

4.Pao abei Abe's Puffer? (Probably based on their relatively good nature to this point)

5. Pao leiurus Target puffer 

6. (Pending) I am plannning a slightly larget puffer project in a 270 beginning some time next month

The forum is full of great people. we even have a few puffer and oddball keepers like yourself. Oddballs is the page I shop for fish on pretty much everytime 🙂  Welcome to the community. 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Love 2