Size small amano shrimp on Aqua Huna

Phoenix1391

Does anyone know if the sizes of amanos sold by aqua huna are genetics or just age? Specifically I ordered the size small since that was all they had and was surprised just how small they were. Is this due to genetics or are they just suuuper young compared to the size medium I have bought before. The small are probably 1/4” in length whereas the medium I bought before were probably twice to triple the size. 

On 8/4/2023 at 4:59 PM, Phoenix1391 said:

Does anyone know if the sizes of amanos sold by aqua huna are genetics or just age? Specifically I ordered the size small since that was all they had and was surprised just how small they were. Is this due to genetics or are they just suuuper young compared to the size medium I have bought before. The small are probably 1/4” in length whereas the medium I bought before were probably twice to triple the size. 

It is very common to size them, so to speak and it's 100% about size of the shrimp (age).

Amanos can grow pretty quickly, but if you have a concern of them being eaten then you'd want to have a larger size. 

I would always recommend getting the smallest possible because they are extremely adept at hiding and they will just give you more for the same cost.

Small = ~0.5" or so normally
medium (i.e. normal) = 0.75-1"
large or XL = 1" or bigger

Full size they can easily hit 2-3 inches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It is very common to size them, so to speak and it's 100% about size of the shrimp (age).

Amanos can grow pretty quickly, but if you have a concern of them being eaten then you'd want to have a larger size. 

I would always recommend getting the smallest possible because they are extremely adept at hiding and they will just give you more for the same cost.

Small = ~0.5" or so normally
medium (i.e. normal) = 0.75-1"
large or XL = 1" or bigger

Full size they can easily hit 2-3 inches.

Not worried about them being eaten, their co-inhabitants are otos and celestial pearl danios. Thank you for the info!

• Love 1