Brine shrimp hatching temperature / timing?

Rube_Goldfish

I'm sorry if I'm repeating an existing thread somewhere, but while I know that warmer hatching water leads to quicker hatching of brine shrimp cysts, is there a chart anywhere showing ideal harvesting time compared to temperature? "The water is X degrees so I should harvest at Y time"? Or are there too many variables for it to be that simple?

Secondary question: I should probably just invest in a submerged heater for my Ziss brine shrimp hatchery already; does anyone have any recommendations of heaters that will fit?

I use this one. It works fabulous. 
for me I often forget to plug the heater in since it needs to sit in the water for 15-20 minutes before being plugged in to calibrate correctly. 
When that happens I watch. The batch will go from brownish to orangish then about an hour or two after the orange color shows it gets bright orange. That’s a great harvest time  for me. 

4438A77E-84B3-46CD-A1F4-8AB50B581B71.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2023 at 1:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

I use this one. It works fabulous. 
for me I often forget to plug the heater in since it needs to sit in the water for 15-20 minutes before being plugged in to calibrate correctly. 
When that happens I watch. The batch will go from brownish to orangish then about an hour or two after the orange color shows it gets bright orange. That’s a great harvest time  for me. 

4438A77E-84B3-46CD-A1F4-8AB50B581B71.png

Thanks, @Guppysnail! So (two months later) I finally bought this exact model. My normal heater procedure in a tank, on the rare occasions I have to remove a heater, is to unplug it and let it cool for 10 or 20 minutes before removing it from water. My understanding of live BBS is that while you want to give them a couple minutes to separate from the egg casings and congregate down at the spout, they can't go too long without aeration before they start dying.

So how do you drain out the water to harvest the BBS without damaging the heater?

I hatch around 26°C and it takes about 18-20 hours to hatch the first part (like 60%), if i leave it for another 10, I get like 20% more hatched as well. 

I didnt notice a difference in light cycles either, I will sometimes create a batch in the morning and plop it down in the tank and there will be 6 hours of light in the evening from the tank lights and some natural light during the day. Sometimes I will create a batch in the afternoon, in the light directly, most of the hatching will happen in darkness.

No aeration in my case, bbs dies in the hatch container around 30 hours, but sometimes the next day some are still alive ( those who hatched later I think). Sometimes I think they would hatch anywhere under any conditions :)) 

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 10:23 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

So how do you drain out the water to harvest the BBS without damaging the heater?

You know how sometimes you move on to other things and your brain keeps 'working the problem' in the background? Well, eureka: just turn the heater off 20 minutes before you turn the aeration off!