HELP!!!! Hole in the Head. Heximita

Jon G

So I noticed these white spots on the head of my black ram today. Yesterday they were not there. I'm thinking hole in the head.  As far as I know metronidazol is the best way to treat this. I have fritz paraclense which is metronidazol and praziquantel.  The fish is in a 10 gallon with a female gold ram and I dosed one packet today as soon as a saw it.  He is still eating, his behavior is normal and his color is good. 

Am I doing the right thing?  Does this look like hole in the head? Please help. 

Fish two days ago20200715_201334.jpg.2c2001a821550b889cca20d6de4d8b4c.jpg

Fish today20200722_194041.jpg.7c8ae77f36394fdf21d4af8e5f705afc.jpg

Edited by Jon G

I don't know jack about the white spots. But he has it on his dorsal to. 3 on the top 1 on the back side! I'm responding because I really want to see what others think about it as well. I hope someone has an answer for you soon.

48 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I don't know jack about the white spots. But he has it on his dorsal to. 3 on the top 1 on the back side! I'm responding because I really want to see what others think about it as well. I hope someone has an answer for you soon.

Those on his dorsal are blue spangles. They do look like spots in the picture but they aren't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cory said:

What is the pH at? With that substrate it could be pretty low. I'll assume there is a varied diet. So I'd probably use paracleanse or prazi first for a week and see what that does. 

Ph is at 7.0. Diet is varied. Micro wafers, vibra bites, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, and extreme krill flakes. Although none of my rams seem to like the krill flakes. Strange. The thing is that his coloration is still good. He is eating. Behavior is normal. And to top it off he and his gold ram partner spawned last night.  I have been dosing paraclense as per package instructions. Today is day 4 and the markings are still on his head. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I just wanted to give on update. Unfortunately I was unable to save the fish and I found him dead today. 

I had dosed with paraclense according to the directions on the package. The white "divots" on the fish first got worse then began to clear up and look as if they were beginning to heal. A  few days later I noticed that the places where he had the lesions on his head began to grow some sort of white fungus. I then treated with ich x as per bottle directons for 3 days which cleared up the fungus. The fish was doing OK for a day or two. Was eating and it looked as if his words began to heal. The marks on his head then began to look red as if they were infected once the fungus cleared. I treated with maracyn (erythromycin) as per directions on the package. Sadly the fish did not make it. Water changes were done also as per the package directions and between new medications being added to the aquarium. It stinks that I lost him. He was a really nice looking fish but it happens. I did all I could. 

RIP!!