Molding wood in aquarium

Bioactive

I recently had a tank of mine leak so I had to go out and buy a new one, while this happened there was about a week gap where my aquarium wood was stored outdoors. I did wash it off and stuff (it was protected from rain but still outdoors nonetheless) and set up the new tank. While it was out there it must’ve picked up some mold spores because after setting up the new tank some white stuff started to appear on the small part that comes out of the water. There are not fish in there yet but I think I would be incredibly difficult to move the wood out because it’s very large. Any tips on how to maybe get rid of the mold without tearing the tank down or poisoning the water. I know it’s probably not possible but I thought I might as well check. And if I do have to take it out how should I go about curing it from the mold so that I can put it back?IMG_8691.jpeg.6734eaa9f39c4ed80b14ea577a80915b.jpeg

I would try Reverse Respiration (RR) on the part that is currently exposed.  You can do that in a tote with a lid and you only have to flip it upside down so the currently exposed part is covered with the seltzer.  If you haven’t already, read the first couple pages on RR.  I’ll add the link.  I would treat for at least 12-18 hours since we haven’t done any testing on molds.

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/24465-reverse-respiration/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hate to be that guy, but It will come back most likely. The mold spores really like the surface of wood on the water’s edge. Before my wood submerged in water got completely taken over by the fern and moss I too would get some gnarly looking molds.

Wiped off with alcohol it would come back after a couple weeks. 

I am fairly sensitive to air quality and am allergic to molds and weirdly I was never sniffly around the tank. I even had a couple orange slime molds find their way into the tank. 

• Like 2