What do you call this color? Female betta

Epiphanaea

On 8/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, Epiphanaea said:

I want to redo her whole set-up now, she needs a dark background to show off her colors - but I *just* got the cycle stabilized!  A few rocks at a time, I guess.

I don’t know that I’d go dark.  Bettas don’t mimic background so personally, I would go for contrast against her color.  Maybe some dark wood or rocks, but bright green plants so she stands out more would be my inclination.  For instance, some crypts that have green leaves but dark stems would also be cool.  Pick up a touch of her color but not so much you can’t find her in them.  😉  Betts can be shockingly good at hiding if the tank has colors too close to theirs and even sometimes when the colors aren’t close to theirs.

Well, I changed out her substrate - I had the brilliant idea that I would try to mimic river bottom as closely as possible.  Natural habitat, right?  Looked great in the pan.

In the tank, let’s just say ‘blackwater’ got a bit too literal.  FYI, Viva paper towels are a lifesaver as filter material for fine particulate matter - stuff the filter with them, and get a strainer and line it with them and start scooping and pouring. 

So yeah, after several water changes, some added sand, and one incredibly pissed off fish, there is now substrate that doesn’t glare in photos and turn her into a dark blob.

D7AE569C-2299-41BA-8003-5CBB1147E088.jpeg.f6b659f1153216c6b692f4e9f8231280.jpeg28967CC3-1364-4E82-A5CD-1AECF25F2B3E.jpeg.1ebfa539aa59bfd640bd4aa39006882e.jpeg

Edited by Epiphanaea
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

So, unfortunately, very sad update guys.  She died last night.  She’d been looking a little rotund, and I thought I just needed to cut back on the feeding, but then yesterday she looked very bloated, lopsidedly so.  I think she may have been eggbound, as the organs I could see through her side, that Google tells me were ovaries, looked huge and asymmetrical, and when I found her this morning I could see that she’d bled internally in that area. (I get ovarian cysts myself and know how bad the pain is when one ruptures, so I really hope it was quick for her.). I’d also found some bubbles around the edge of the water, a couple days ago, and her ‘egg spot’ was enlarged.  

I hope I didn’t stress her into this with the decor change, which was definitely more stressful than I’d meant it to be.  I suppose if her body decided it was a good place/time for babies, that means she was otherwise really happy.  

• Sad 6

On 8/10/2023 at 3:03 PM, Epiphanaea said:

So, unfortunately, very sad update guys.  She died last night.  She’d been looking a little rotund, and I thought I just needed to cut back on the feeding, but then yesterday she looked very bloated, lopsidedly so.  I think she may have been eggbound, as the organs I could see through her side, that Google tells me were ovaries, looked huge and asymmetrical, and when I found her this morning I could see that she’d bled internally in that area. (I get ovarian cysts myself and know how bad the pain is when one ruptures, so I really hope it was quick for her.). I’d also found some bubbles around the edge of the water, a couple days ago, and her ‘egg spot’ was enlarged.  

I hope I didn’t stress her into this with the decor change, which was definitely more stressful than I’d meant it to be.  I suppose if her body decided it was a good place/time for babies, that means she was otherwise really happy.  

I am very sorry to hear that. I was as excited to witness her change dah by day. Im soo glad she spent her last times wkth you and under your care.

Let me assure you, bettas are indeed on a very bad spot I think. Ive lost some of mine to very weird stuff. In fact at some point it was either this or that point. Like one of my males had a tumor growth on its head. Then it following weeks he had dropsy. Like… you understand me.

you can perfect your care but they are genetically so weak and it is super hard to find healthy ones bcoz they are mostly being bred for their color and fin structure, not healthy genetics. That is why I am trying to avoid naming and personal contact with my bettas and not planning to get any more in the future. It devastates me.

I hope Sunflower finds peace wherever she is. (I named her like that on my head :,) ). Thank you for providing her a good care and home

• Like 1

Ohhh, I’m really sorry to hear of her death - it’s never easy loosing a pet - whether furry, feathered, or finned. I’m glad she had you to live out the end of her life! And I want you to know, you inspired me to get a female Betta. I’ve never had one before. 🙂 I just got her two days ago - and it really is because of you and your girl. So thank you for your care of her and for generously sharing her life with us the way you did.

• Love 1