Learning the hard way, still needing more experience!

Teresa72

So from the beginning of the disaster. I did a water change on 6/19. Found a couple rasboras in the return area of the tank put them back in the main area. Two days later one  of them started to zip around and died. Next day another one was dead. I assumed they were the ones who were stuck in the return area. Fast forward to 7/5  did a test on the tank PH 7.2 KH 4 GH 8 Amm 0 Nirite0 Nitate 25 ppm. So I decided to do a water change the fallowing week. Here is my stupid mistake I bought 5 Otto as I had plenty for them to graze on. Drip acclimated them dropped them in (commence dumb fish owner brain) came home one dead ok not totally unexpected. 2 more disappeared and have never been seen again. Sat down to do water test and change on 7/14 noticed one of my Cory cats was not good. Photos will be added. With photos in hand ran to my trusted fish store and ask them and bought the meds recommended to treat tank. I am currently on day 5 of meds.The Cory passed before I got home with the meds. I noticed today that one of Ottos has something on his head. Ugh I thought I had started to clean all this up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have only been checking Amm levels only while using the meds. 
Who is left in the tank 11 emerald eye rasboras 9 phoenix rasboras 7 Cory hasbrous and unknown number of shrimp. Removed snails before meds.

edited to add noticed another Cory who appeared to not be well (pale color and just not right) same day as the day I picked up meds. Since starting meds color has returned and is foraging to food.

IMG_7161.jpeg

IMG_7162.jpeg

IMG_7167.jpeg

IMG_7197.jpeg

Edited by Teresa72

What size and temperature is this tank?  The rasbora issue could have been caused by stress from being trapped. What meds are you using and what are you treating for at this time?

Is the issue in the top photo like a dent in the cory's head?  Can't tell for sure; it's a little bit blurry.  Also for each sick fish, are they acting lethargic or hiding?  Or are they rapid swimming/darting/rubbing their bodies against surfaces (rocks, gravel, objects, etc)?

Do you have a whole tank photo so we can see filtration (the return area you mentioned)?

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

The tank is a 15 gallon, the Cory that passed is in the photos it looked to be creamy and almost infected so to speak.The Cory was hiding and would come out and zip around and then go back into hiding. The Otto is acting what I perceive to be normal. Only super active right after lights go out. I have seen him kinda rub on a leaf or two. I am treating with Maracyn2 and KanaPlex. The 2nd Cory who has regained color is acting normal so far. It was hiding before treatment.

edit to add treat for bacterial infection.

Edited by Teresa72
  • Thanks 1

There's a couple of things that could be going on with the white patch on the head of your Otto and pale colour of your Cory's what I would do is two courses of kanaplex back to back as there seems to be something bacterial going on   I would follow up with prazipro once a week for 3 weeks to deworm your Otto's as the majority are wild caught there's always a risk of a parasitic infections or you can  treat with paracleanse once every two weeks for 3 full courses of treatment @Teresa72

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 2

On 7/19/2023 at 11:38 PM, Teresa72 said:

Can I treat with paracleanse now? And do I need to do a rest period between the KanaPlex? @Colu

the tank has had 3 KanaPlex treatments this week.

not sure how to do paracleanse in food for the ottos as they will not take anything yet.

Looking at the fish I would do another course of kanaplex which is 3 treatments 2 days apart then do a large water change and run carbon for 24 HR before doing the first course of paracleanse I would just dose the tank as you can't guarantee there will get the correct dose in food 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 9:29 AM, Teresa72 said:

So from the beginning of the disaster. I did a water change on 6/19. Found a couple rasboras in the return area of the tank put them back in the main area.

Unfortunately this isn't uncommon and entirely common for small things like shrimp.  There are "shrimp versions" of the same aquarium you have to cover the intake as well as items on etsy that can be easily added.  I would encourage you to look into that latter option as a means to try and prevent issues long term.  Another thing you can do is quilting mesh glued into place over the grate so that things cannot spill over into the rear chamber.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:12 PM, Colu said:

Looking at the fish I would do another course of kanaplex which is 3 treatments 2 days apart then do a large water change and run carbon for 24 HR before doing the first course of paracleanse I would just dose the tank as you can't guarantee there will get the correct dose in food 

Secondary to the above, I would also recommend adding aquarium salt and an air stone.  This helps with oxygenation while the meds are in the water as well as the salt.  You would essentially....

1. Pull the plants into a bucket for 1 week, they will be fine.  You can add an airstone to keep the water better quality for them.
2. Dose in your salt dose, 1 tbsp per 2 Gallons (which is 1/3 cup per 10 Gallons).  Start your treatment of Kanaplex, follow the directions on the package of Kanaplex as directed above.  This will dilute the salt over time, but have the desired impact of the salt treatment.

• Like 1

I do have shrimp in the tank, will the salt be ok for them? I do have the modified intake covers for this tank this is why I was so surprised to see them back there. Thank you for all the helpful advice! I do have all my things for my 40 gallon now so the Flex will most likely be turned in to a quarantine tank when I am able to transfer everyone over.

On 7/20/2023 at 4:27 AM, Teresa72 said:

I do have shrimp in the tank, will the salt be ok for them?

What kind of shrimp?

Amano shrimp yes, neo shrimp and caridina shrimp it's something where they are going to be more sensitive to higher doses.

It's hard to explain but, trying to get a full week with salt (basically one treatment) you either have a lower dose for safety of sensitive animals or you just do what you need to do to have a strong enough dose to be effective.

If that means moving certain things, then it's unfortunate. A lot of times it's a risk to plants and so it's just a matter of how severe is the situation and how much salt do you need.

You can always use 1 TBSP per 5G and be ok with neo shrimp and sensitive species.

• 3 weeks later...