Cory w/ fuzz on tail

Dyzir13

Hi everyone. I just noticed a small area of fuzz on my albino Cory’s tail . The 65 gallon tank has 6 other albinos and 10 cardinal tetra. Everyone else looks and acts healthy. 

ph 7.8

nitrite and ammonia are 0

nitrate was 10 before the water change I did today 

I attached a few pics. Do you think this is ich or a fungal infection? I don’t have a quarantine tank. Suggestions on how to treat?

IMG_0473.jpeg

IMG_0472.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

@Colu thanks for the quick response. I ended up putting up a 5 gallon quarantine tank and separating the fish because the ich-x is not arriving until tomorrow. Today the white spot remained with a small red area now present on the same part of the tail closest to the body. Even with the fish removed, do you think I need to treat the main tank? All the other fish appear healthy to this point and water parameters are still good.

On 7/8/2023 at 9:00 PM, Dyzir13 said:

@Colu thanks for the quick response. I ended up putting up a 5 gallon quarantine tank and separating the fish because the ich-x is not arriving until tomorrow. Today the white spot remained with a small red area now present on the same part of the tail closest to the body. Even with the fish removed, do you think I need to treat the main tank? All the other fish appear healthy to this point and water parameters are still good.

I would only treat the fish in quarantine unless other fish are showing symptoms in your main tank as you seeing a red area what I would do is treat with a combination of ick X and maracyn following The co-op treatment Screenshot_20230709-000408.jpg.b476c718a27f3ecf08c17e7b2a29aeca.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 1:00 PM, Dyzir13 said:

Even with the fish removed, do you think I need to treat the main tank?

One thing to note here is your PH.

I cannot say it caused any issues and some corydoras are kept in higher PH. However, if the PH is too high and causing stress you'll see redness on the body and this is something I did notice on my own corydoras panda as well as amano shrimp. This also could've been an isolated incident because the KH/PH swung way too hard in my tank too quickly.

Secondarily, given the first photo, what is your substrate that you're using in this tank with these corydoras? Please let us know your KH, GH, and temperature as well if possible.

@nabokovfan87 @ColuThe substrate is CaribSea eco complete gravel. Temp is 77, dkH measured about 5 and dgH was about 5 as well. 

My quarantined Cory didn’t make it but luckily the rest of the tank is doing great. 

Question on my quarantine tank. I’ve read to sanitize everything with a diluted bleach solution. Can I also sanitize my sponge filter with this and put it back in my main tank? I was going to throw it out but it would save money if I can sanitize and re-use.