CPD looking unwell

MrGrieves

I have 6 celestial pearl danios in a 5 gallon tank. Five have been in there for about 6 weeks, doing great. Unfortunately I lost one due to an illness described in this thread: 

A week ago I got a replacement. She had been doing fine until yesterday she developed clamped fins and began spending all of her time swimming against the filter outflow. Now she has a slight milky/white coating over her. This is VERY similar to what happened with the fish I lost previously. In contrast she is still very interested in food and will leave the outflow to go feed, then return. 

Parameters remain similar to previous. Planted tank with snails and an amano shrimp.

73F

pH 7.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

Kh 4

Gh 9

@Colu you were very helpful last time so would appreciate some more advice (or from anyone else of course!). I now have more medication on hand: Expel-P, Paracleanse, Ich-X, Maracyn and Kanaplex.

Thanks for any help.

20230703_102518.jpg.80cd5ac608bfaf1240f29b4476f99f8e.jpg20230703_102524.jpg.57e95fcbf89885dc3fe802dda546e048.jpg

Edited by MrGrieves

On 7/3/2023 at 3:39 PM, MrGrieves said:

I have 6 celestial pearl danios in a 5 gallon tank. Five have been in there for about 6 weeks, doing great. Unfortunately I lost one due to an illness described in this thread: 

A week ago I got a replacement. She had been doing fine until yesterday she developed clamped fins and began spending all of her time swimming against the filter outflow. Now she has a slight milky/white coating over her. This is VERY similar to what happened with the fish I lost previously. In contrast she is still very interested in food and will leave the outflow to go feed, then return. 

Parameters remain similar to previous. Planted tank with snails and an amano shrimp.

73F

pH 7.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

Kh 4

Gh 9

@Colu you were very helpful last time so would appreciate some more advice (or from anyone else of course!). I now have more medication on hand: Expel-P, Paracleanse, Ich-X, Maracyn and Kanaplex.

Thanks for any help.

20230703_102518.jpg.80cd5ac608bfaf1240f29b4476f99f8e.jpg20230703_102524.jpg.57e95fcbf89885dc3fe802dda546e048.jpg

What I would do is a course of kanaplex then follow up with Expel p once a week for 3 weeks just to make sure you have dealt with the issues in the previous thread 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 2:36 PM, Colu said:

What I would do is a course of kanaplex then follow up with Expel p once a week for 3 weeks just to make sure you have dealt with issue in the previous thread 

Thanks! Just to clarify - do you consider a course of kanaplex to be 1 dose every other day x3 doses total?

• Like 1

Day 4 of Kanaplex (two doses administered, last due tomorrow). Colour is looking a bit better. However she seems to be having a bit of difficulty swimming. I wonder if she has developed a swim bladder issue? Often resting on about a 45º angle, nose down tail up. Shimmying a bit when swimming. I will link a video below. Please let me know if this changes treatment plans at all.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:29 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

If possible, isolate the fish.  It could point to a few things.  Are you seeing any behavior or discoloration on other fish?

I don't really have a way to isolate, unfortunately.  All other fish look fine. 

On 7/7/2023 at 12:42 PM, MrGrieves said:

I don't really have a way to isolate, unfortunately.  All other fish look fine. 

It could be weak and it's struggling to swim against the flow of your filter if you can't quarantine I would try and reduce your flow from your filter 

Kanaplex treatment is done. Colour looks ok, still a bit more pale/milky look compared to other fish but better than when she first got sick.  Still has clamped fins and still spending almost all her time swimming against the filter outflow.  However she has a strong appetite and always comes out to the front of the tank with the other CPDs when I come to feed. Seems to have a bit of trouble swimming, especially down. Here is a video of her feeding a few minutes ago.

Should I just proceed with Expel-P today as originally planned?

https://youtu.be/O4-nFVHUEzk

On 7/9/2023 at 3:35 PM, MrGrieves said:

Kanaplex treatment is done. Colour looks ok, still a bit more pale/milky look compared to other fish but better than when she first got sick.  Still has clamped fins and still spending almost all her time swimming against the filter outflow.  However she has a strong appetite and always comes out to the front of the tank with the other CPDs when I come to feed. Seems to have a bit of trouble swimming, especially down. Here is a video of her feeding a few minutes ago.

Should I just proceed with Expel-P today as originally planned?

https://youtu.be/O4-nFVHUEzk

I would follow up with the Expel p it might need a second course of kanaplex if you still seeing some pale areas on the skin 

Edited by Colu

On 7/9/2023 at 7:17 PM, Colu said:

I would follow up with the Expel p it might need a second course of kanaplex if you still seeing some pale areas on the skin 

I don't see any pale areas on the fish. Overall, colour is very close to the other fish in the tank - maybe slightly more pale.

Completed one course each of Kanaplex and Expel-P. I'd say overall the fish looks a bit better but still has clamped fins and shimmies a bit while swimming.

Wait and see at this point? Any additional treatment? 

Thanks for your advice. 

20230710_093525.jpg.4edc77d26d28c408646a953812534b15.jpg20230710_093530.jpg.5bdfbf0ac495c88f0367752bd9440bc1.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 2:56 PM, MrGrieves said:

I don't see any pale areas on the fish. Overall, colour is very close to the other fish in the tank - maybe slightly more pale.

Completed one course each of Kanaplex and Expel-P. I'd say overall the fish looks a bit better but still has clamped fins and shimmies a bit while swimming.

Wait and see at this point? Any additional treatment? 

Thanks for your advice. 

20230710_093525.jpg.4edc77d26d28c408646a953812534b15.jpg20230710_093530.jpg.5bdfbf0ac495c88f0367752bd9440bc1.jpg

What I would do is just monitor for now and follow up in a week with another course of Expel p 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 1:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Have you done any salt treatment? Is there any chance you can move the fish out of the tank, even into a tub or bucket?

Or a tote?

Sorry missed this advice, no I did not do any salt treatment as I have a planted tank. Unfortunately I do not have space or equipment to quarantine at the moment.

Repeat treatment with Expel-P complete. To recap, tank has had 3 doses Kanaplex, 2 doses Expel-P (one week apart). 

Hard to say for sure as I see her every day but I think she has improved slightly? Colour is  definitely better, she is almost as vibrant as the other CPDs in the tank. I think much of the colour improvement can be attributed to maturing over the past few weeks as she was only a juvenile when I got her. Fins are still clamped and swimming still looks a it odd to me but I think has improved. She still has an appetite and feeds regularly though it looks to me like she has a sunken belly (which is surprising based on how much I see her eat). 

I have attached some photos from today. Please let me know if there is anything else I should try or just wait and see at this point.

image.png.a7c174429b2a0d8f90c850938a1415b4.pngimage.png.1a7a8fb81c3a0c9137415d756a498bb2.pngimage.png.0b159ef4e965d2668396f09b504107e7.png

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 3:05 PM, MrGrieves said:

Repeat treatment with Expel-P complete. To recap, tank has had 3 doses Kanaplex, 2 doses Expel-P (one week apart). 

Hard to say for sure as I see her every day but I think she has improved slightly? Colour is  definitely better, she is almost as vibrant as the other CPDs in the tank. I think much of the colour improvement can be attributed to maturing over the past few weeks as she was only a juvenile when I got her. Fins are still clamped and swimming still looks a it odd to me but I think has improved. She still has an appetite and feeds regularly though it looks to me like she has a sunken belly (which is surprising based on how much I see her eat). 

I have attached some photos from today. Please let me know if there is anything else I should try or just wait and see at this point.

image.png.a7c174429b2a0d8f90c850938a1415b4.pngimage.png.1a7a8fb81c3a0c9137415d756a498bb2.pngimage.png.0b159ef4e965d2668396f09b504107e7.png

I would do a third course of Expel p and monitor 

On 7/18/2023 at 7:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@Colu would you do a salt dip for ~15 minutes or so, given that they do not want to add salt to the aquarium directly?

I would add a small amount of aquarium salt to the tank 1 table spoon for 7 gallons that won't harm the plants at that level and Will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes 

• Thanks 1