Can I feed this food to my goldfish

Nik_n

I recently bought a used aquarium, together with a used auto-feeder filled with some goldfish pallets. The guy said they were sit in there for 2 months. I also have the original food container, says the food expires in 2024. Would it be safe to feed this food to my goldfish or not?

On 7/1/2023 at 9:28 AM, JimOp said:

Gold fish are carp and basically eat anything, as long as the food hasn't gotten wet or moldy it should be fine.

Completely true.

However, why feed your fish 50 cents worth of unknown food?   Seems like an unnecessary cost savings to me.

On 7/1/2023 at 8:39 AM, Val said:

Completely true.

However, why feed your fish 50 cents worth of unknown food?   Seems like an unnecessary cost savings to me.

He said he has a canaster of it, not just in the auto feeder.

The container was pretty much empty when I got it, so I took the food out of the feeder and put in back in the container. It 's called Tetra goldfish gold Japan. I have about half of the smallest container worth of this food.   

If the container of food has been open for 2 months you'll likely want to replace it. Feeding expired food can result in bacterial disease for the fish.

Typically you'd only want to feed for ~30 days.  I can't say what the longest timeline would be in terms of safety for the fish.

Let's assume worst case scenario and it wasn't kept properly and the food is off.

• Like 1