Planted Tank Filtration Recommendations

Hi! I’m new to the hobby — dove right in thanks to AqCoop! I’m moving everything from my 5 gal betta tanks to 10 to 20 gal tanks. I am currently using all ACO sponge filters and one HOB, but was considering switching to small canisters for the larger cubes. Any thoughts on this? I tend to lean toward more maintenance free and natural options, so I don’t know if a canister is a good fit. All of my tanks are heavily planted and low tech. Thank you all in advance!

• Like 1

If it were me I would not go with a canister on a 20g or below with a betta. Without damping the output you'll be blowing that poor little guy all over the tank! In that situation, I'd probably opt for a hang on back with a bubbler or a sponge filter (which takes up precious plant real-estate) in troublesome low flow area(s).

In a 20 gallon a canaster would be overkill especially for Betta. Betta are slow water fish, normally found in shallow slow moving waters like rice paddies, swamps and slow streams. They can also breath air and can survive in stagnant water, it's why they survive in the tiny cups. As stated previously a sponge filter would be fine. It is both mechanical and biological filtration and will provide sufficient surface agitation for oxygen exchange for any other fish you may add to the tank. 

You being here and asking questions puts you miles ahead above someone new that gets all their advice from someone from Petco or other stores. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 4:56 PM, JoeQ said:

If it were me I would not go with a canister on a 20g or below with a betta.

@TeeJay can you share your experience on your tank with the small x07 filter?

I believe you also tested the spray bar option?

I agree though, probably a bit too strong for a Betta, I do think there are canisters that make sense for 20G and up tanks.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@TeeJay can you share your experience on your tank with the small x07 filter?

I believe you also tested the spray bar option?

I agree though, probably a bit too strong for a Betta, I do think there are canisters that make sense for 20G and up tanks.

Yes I have a 207 on my 20 long tank. I have use it with and without the spray bar. I prefer the spray bar to ease of controlling the flow. I only run the filter at about 50 percent power for my cpds and aspidoras. If you do crank it all the way up you can get some serious movement though.

I think im this case with a Betta in the tank I would use the spray bar and keep the flow aimed down the back wall of the tank. I think that would give you the easiest flow. But it still could be strong for a long fim Betta. Imo I would go with a sponge filter and hob with a baffle to help keep the flow easy but still get good surface agitation and the sponge filter will give the extra oxygenation.

• Thanks 1

I’m sure it works great.  I don’t care for the potential of a leak or restart failure with a canister filter. I’d rather use an air pump with filtration inside the tank (sponge or UGF) and eliminate any potential for a leak on my hardwood floors.  I sleep better with simple and low tech in my tanks. Certainly everyone is different. I’ve run almost everything and now prefer simple and minimalist in my set up. A gravel vac or sponge rinse is easy for me to do with a water change.