Move a Large Fish

ktk4beees

I am looking for suggestions on methods to move an 18 inch long Fancy Goldfish. It is about 7 years old and a lot of the length is fin. It is coming out of an Acrylic tank with (2) 13 1/2 inch long and 7 1/4 wide slots in the top. I can only get a big bowl in sideways and the same with a pond net. I have toyed with a lot of ideas but would appreciate any suggestions. She or He is moving to a bigger tank on this Saturday. Thank you in advance.

To add information, the fish is pretty docile and knows me well. So, I do not believe it will be difficult to catch it but I do not want to hurt him or her nor any of her fins and all of her various fins are long and full. I have a 4 gallon wide bucket to move her in after I get her out of the tank she is in. It is getting her out of the tank that is my issue.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:37 AM, ktk4beees said:

I am looking for suggestions on methods to move an 18 inch long Fancy Goldfish. It is about 7 years old and a lot of the length is fin. It is coming out of an Acrylic tank with (2) 13 1/2 inch long and 7 1/4 wide slots in the top. I can only get a big bowl in sideways and the same with a pond net. I have toyed with a lot of ideas but would appreciate any suggestions. She or He is moving to a bigger tank on this Saturday. Thank you in advance.

Why are you limited to a 7 1/4" slot?

I would normally suggest a gallon size wide mouth jar. This allows for the fish to be removed without netting or being deprived of water for breathing or swimming. Your goldfish might be too big for that.  Other than netting, the only thing I can think of is a large freezer bag.

Its is an Acrylic Tank that I really dislike but there you have it. Due to weight concerns of where it is, I went Acrylic. I intend to take the tank down and get rid of it when I move all the fish. It is beautiful when clean but constant 2 times a week cleanings are a bit much.

Because it is an Acrylic tank the top does not come off and those slot measurements are all it has.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:38 AM, ktk4beees said:

Its is an Acrylic Tank that I really dislike but there you have it. Due to weight concerns of where it is, I went Acrylic. I intend to take the tank down and get rid of it when I move all the fish. It is beautiful when clean but constant 2 times a week cleanings are a bit much.

Because it is an Acrylic tank the top does not come off and those slot measurements are all it has.

Thanks for the freezer bag thought, that is one I did not think of.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to get back to you so late. Yesterday, I looked for your little one as I was traveling to the big city to retrieve construction material for the house and could not find him. So today I took everything out of the tank and no fish. I looked in the big tank for it in case it had been moved on accident but it was not there either. So the only thing I can think of is that the crayfish got the last laugh and got it even though I found no remains.

I am really sorry as I know you were looking forward to getting it. I had the bags, cool bricks and insulated box all ready to go too. Again, please accept my apologies.