can't find 2 of 10 green neon tetras in tank

HelplessNewbie

Just put in and quarantining our first fish ever in their 10g tank yesterday. Can't find 2 of 10 green neon tetras today. No obvious floating bodies. Should I start beating around all the plants and decorations? I have a sinking feeling they went down went we vacuumed We didn't remember to pay attention until 2 gallons were gone. They couldn't pass through the mesh that came with the vacuum tube, right?

Edited by HelplessNewbie

Can be dead and eaten, especially if you have snails and/or shrimp.

Might have jumped if you don't have a tight fitting lid as well.

Can be nice to check parameters, especially ammonia and nitrite just in case.

Also observe your other fish for any signs of illness

Oh! I found one dead body. Okay, I omitted one piece of info, we inadvertently left the sponge filter off and didn't realize it because the treasure chest bubbler was working. It was off for 12 hours. We did 50% water change and added rescue aerators. So, we think that is why those 2 are dead... We were proactively treating the tank with ich-x and paracleanse and were fasting them. Still never found the 2nd one.

Seven seem perky. There is one guy who is straggling behind the others but I am thinking it is because it is one of the smaller ones.

The kids are sad.

31 minutes ago, Lennie said:

Can be dead and eaten, especially if you have snails and/or shrimp.

Might have jumped if you don't have a tight fitting lid as well.

Can be nice to check parameters, especially ammonia and nitrite just in case.

Also observe your other fish for any signs of illness

Ammonia and nitrite looks good!

Moved our mystery snail to a tub, since we weren't sure ich-x or paracleanse was safe for it.

How much damage will one decomposing green neon tetra cause in a 10g tank? I already bulb basted the 1 carcass I found.

15 minutes ago, HelplessNewbie said:

Found another dead one. Two are shimmying and one of those two has a weird big white patch on its back. Photo attached.

Screenshot_20230623-123012.png

@Odd Duck @Colu What do you guys think?

@HelplessNewbie could you please share detailed background on when you got them, tank parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, kh, gh), what is the temp, how long the tank has been running etc.

Edited by Lennie

Possible columnaris with the patch on  its back columnaris is a gram negative bacteria that spreads more quickly at temperature over 75 and can kill in 24hr-7days depending on the strain what I would do is treat with a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan @HelplessNewbie

IMG_20230115_235240.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lennie said:

@Odd Duck @Colu What do you guys think?

@HelplessNewbie could you please share detailed background on when you got them, tank parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, kh, gh), what is the temp, how long the tank has been running etc.

Tank is 3 weeks old. Had 1 mystery snail for 2 weeks in it, but moved it to quarantine tub with betta.

We are on Day 3 with the tetras and quarantining them in the 10g intended for their home. 1 nano and 1 medium ACO sponge filters, with a diy minipump+plastic scrubbies filter.

Shared photo of the test tubes. Is my PH too high? My tap water is soft, so I had added Equilibrium.

Screenshot_20230623-140436.png

1 hour ago, Colu said:

Possible columnaris with the patch on  its back columnaris is a gram negative bacteria that spreads more quickly at temperature over 75 and can kill in 24hr-7days depending on the strain what I would do is treat with a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan @HelplessNewbie

IMG_20230115_235240.jpg

Thank you for the diagnosis and treatment plan. Should this ve done for the whole tank or just individual fish? I don't have Kanaplex nor the fizz tabs readily available, will have to order for next day shipping. In meantime, what can I do? I have Maracyn 2 on hand 

My medicated pellets https://www.discususa.com/medicated-foods-c-7/medicine-cabinet-duo-plus-1mm-pellets-p-43.html?zenid=466vduo333hlka3p00eu6mnsj0 has kanamycin but we can't get the fish to eat. Maybe pellets were not a good choice.

Edited by HelplessNewbie

1 hour ago, HelplessNewbie said:

Thank you for the diagnosis and treatment plan. Should this ve done for the whole tank or just individual fish? I don't have Kanaplex nor the fizz tabs readily available, will have to order for next day shipping. In meantime, what can I do? I have Maracyn 2 on hand 

My medicated pellets https://www.discususa.com/medicated-foods-c-7/medicine-cabinet-duo-plus-1mm-pellets-p-43.html?zenid=466vduo333hlka3p00eu6mnsj0 has kanamycin but we can't get the fish to eat. Maybe pellets were not a good choice.

I would start treating with maracyn2 and I would also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons I would treat the whole tank 

On 6/23/2023 at 3:58 PM, Colu said:

I would start treating with maracyn2 and I would also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons I would treat the whole tank 

When I receive the Kanaplex, should I start that but discontinue the Maracyn 2 or do both, with the Jungle Fungus Clear Fizz Tabs?

I would wait to return the mystery snails for at least a week just in case they have a relapse and need further treatment 5 should be fine if your going to add more I would wait 6 weeks and quarantine any new fish for 4weeks before adding them to the main tank @HelplessNewbie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 8:43 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

The littlest guy passed on. So, it's just four now. 😞

One of the remaining 4 is rolling. I started Maracyn, on top of the Maracyn 2.

I would switch to treating with kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs as you still have issues that provides a more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment 

On 6/30/2023 at 2:23 PM, Val said:

I'm so sorry.  This has been heartrending for you I know.  It's been heartbreaking just reading this thread.

Where did you get the fish?

Thank you 

We got them from Aqua Huna. They have been gracious in extending their doa policy.

Will it be safe to put our betta and snail in this tank, after the last one dies?

One was floating upside down, and the other one has internal bleeding, though swimming okay.

On 6/30/2023 at 2:34 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

Thank you 

We got them from Aqua Huna. They have been gracious in extending their doa policy.

Will it be safe to put our betta and snail in this tank, after the last one dies?

One was floating upside down, and the other one has internal bleeding, though swimming okay.

I have no idea.  Where are your Betta and snail now?

I've never bought fish mail order.  I'd see what looks good in your local store.

Looks like internal hemorrhaging you can get that from a injury bacterial infections parastic infection possible hemorrhage septicemia if you haven't already I would do the course of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following the treatment plan I would do to full courses of treatment back to back @HelplessNewbie

• Thanks 1