scaping question creating detailed valleys

TheMosster

Im looking for some advice scaping.

I want to do some sort of valley in the sand, but whats the best way to get detail in it, so its not just a valley of sand, and has more texture?

Im looking to do something kind of like this and dont know how to do it.

Screenshot_2023-06-19_19-43-48.png.6fb72b8565e4700bdd67af65b627f461.png

my one idea right now is to line the sand walls with coarse gravel by sticking it into the sides, but there may be better ideas.

Im open to suggestions!

Edited by TheMosster
  • Love 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:44 PM, TheMosster said:

Screenshot_2023-06-19_19-43-48.png.6fb72b8565e4700bdd67af65b627f461.png

Given that you have a photo to start from, I would highly encourage you to watch this and follow up with questions.

This first video, one of a series as mentioned later, is really based around specifically what you want to do and how to create a bit of depth and drama.  As you see more videos about this creator talking about his specific views on drama, it adds into his creativity and how he is using that as a method for his inspiration.  I am being very honest when I say this.... that photo is monumentally beautiful and looks perfect to design a tank around.  I am trying to share this content so you can get the absolute best perspective for how to accomplish that.

This first video from Juan goes into specifically starting from a photo in nature and using that, analyzing that into an aquascape:

His next video is about a much, much more technical build with very dramatic techniques to replicate another place in nature that drew inspiration for him.

Given the photo you are starting with I think you will also appreciate this video:

Each person you see above they have their own series of 3-7 videos from their visit.  This is just one video, but if you find something they say a bit more on point and helpful for you, then you can just search for that person's name with green aqua or check the playlists they've made on that channel.  The full "master series" is about 14 videos in total and each one I've really learned a lot about the technical side of things when it comes to recreating or setting up a certain perspective.

Edited by nabokovfan87
Added another video by Juan
  • Like 1

Just now, Dork Fish said:

@TheMosster I personally like the "way too many java fern" look LOL

see, it had been a while since i touched the tank, thats why it was getting a rescape, i didnt realize how many healthy java fern windelovs there were in there until i pulled them out. Here is a picture of all the plants i pulled out of that tank, its mostly medium sized java fern windelov, a while ago i glued in some plantlets, and i guess they really took off..sheeramountofplants.jpg.0fe3819fa2a7dca8d490c7492da4d8f5.jpg

1 minute ago, Dork Fish said:

@TheMosster That is great news though. Plants can get expensive, I would welcome having them grow faster that you thought over not fast enough LOL 🙂

its so weird. My other tank has a fancy light and gets ferts weekly, and the plants grow kinda slow (besides anubias)

this tank, get only ambient room light, and ferts when i remember, and its REALLY good at growing plants. Im hoping in my rescape and water change i did not mess up the plant growing enviroment.