Aquarium Applicant for what uses.

TheMosster

Ive noticed in several youtube channels that i watch (terarrium and aquarium) the youtubers use primarily 3 applicants.

1.silicone

2.expanding foam

and

3.super glue

so my question is, which applicants are best for which use cases?

and for example, why cant i just connect my hardscape with silicone instead of super glue?

and stuff like that.

@nabokovfan87

On 6/19/2023 at 11:54 AM, TheMosster said:

and for example, why cant i just connect my hardscape with silicone instead of super glue?

For large pieces I've seen it done. Serpa design does a lot of unique stuff as well with foams and other materials.

I've seen aquascapers in other countries use a glob of stuff, mix it with soil, then use that as a type of filler to bond all the rocks in place.

• Like 1

You can use silicone to put stuff together but I prefer superglue. 

For attaching mosses to rocks and wood. I am afraid the chemicals in superglue will kill them. Although I think I’m being paranoid rather than anything based in reality. So I use moss string for aquascapers. It’s green so it blends in and after about 2 months it breaks down and I can pull it out then. 

Great stuff I love. I made the island in my tank out of expanding foam black and local river rock. It held up super well until my gobies started to decide that they want to make their own tunnels…

IMG_3603.jpeg.c01e06f5125f6f3947c39270642dd581.jpeg

IMG_3745.jpeg.42103de0cd91eba15f138cca06c6f127.jpeg

I use silicone for bonding things to glass mostly and sealing surfaces to hold humidity.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 12:41 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

For attaching mosses to rocks and wood. I am afraid the chemicals in superglue will kill them. Although I think I’m being paranoid rather than anything based in reality. So I use moss string for aquascapers. It’s green so it blends in and after about 2 months it breaks down and I can pull it out then. 

ive used superglue for many anubias and they are all thriving.

Silicon is much stronger buy takes much longer to dry. Anything that needs to be done quickly and doesnt require a ton of strength should be done with superglue. An example would be attaching epiphite plants to rock or wood. This must be done quickly so the plants wont dry out. You dont want the strong connection either since you may want to remove the plant. Something that would require silicone would be like making a costume aquarium lid. A superglued hinge would give out pretty quickly. 

On 6/20/2023 at 1:20 PM, Scapexghost said:

Silicon is much stronger buy takes much longer to dry. Anything that needs to be done quickly and doesnt require a ton of strength should be done with superglue. An example would be attaching epiphite plants to rock or wood. This must be done quickly so the plants wont dry out. You dont want the strong connection either since you may want to remove the plant. Something that would require silicone would be like making a costume aquarium lid. A superglued hinge would give out pretty quickly. 

that makes sense.

i once built a cave out of small rocks with super glue, it fell apart in like a week when i was moving it, maybe silicone would have been a better move.

• Like 1