False tiger knife fish????🤔

The endler guy

so anyone who is a member of the aquarium coop youtube channel (if you arent, you should be!) knows about the most recent talk (im not going to go to indepth, you gotta be a member to find out what happened 😉 ) but basically false tiger knifefish were mentioned as being a good community fish, and with me losing over half my fish to diesies, an interesting opportunity has opened up. Would a false tiger knife work in my 40b with 2 bolivians and some endlers, corys, tetras, and clown pleco?

On 6/19/2023 at 7:58 AM, The endler guy said:

so anyone who is a member of the aquarium coop youtube channel (if you arent, you should be!) knows about the most recent talk (im not going to go to indepth, you gotta be a member to find out what happened 😉 ) but basically false tiger knifefish were mentioned as being a good community fish, and with me losing over half my fish to diesies, an interesting opportunity has opened up. Would a false tiger knife work in my 40b with 2 bolivians and some endlers, corys, tetras, and clown pleco?

No it will not work, since these fish can easily max out at 12-16 inches and need minimum at least 55 gallon and bigger, and would easily munch down on some of your tetras and endlers. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 7:11 PM, DiscusLover said:

No it will not work, since these fish can easily max out at 12-16 inches and need minimum at least 55 gallon and bigger, and would easily munch down on some of your tetras and endlers. 

According to the talk, some species (they are more of a complex than one species) only get 8 in max and a 55 has a smaller footprint than a 40b 

although the embers and endlers still may be in danger 

I believe the centipede knife is in this complex and stays smaller. They don’t eat fish they mostly use their electromagnetic pulses to find worms and bugs amongst the leaf litter. I believe centipedes are communal though they need a group of 4+. 

Just know they are all wild caught, expensive, and rather delicate about their water quality. I managed to have one but it was put in with Australian rainbows at the LFS and I believe those bullies combined with ich led to it’s demise a couple months later. Only came out at night and got used to tong feedings after about a week.

• Like 2