Trouble Cycling Shrimp Tank

On 6/30/2023 at 8:13 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I just tested the 9w version of that light. I ended up sending it back because the manual said it wasn’t waterproof. The reviewers were saying it doesn’t turn all the way off at night, but the animals need complete darkness to rest.  I probably could have used an external timer with it or something, but instead I ordered just another 24/7 light. I have the 24/7 lights on all my tanks, and I’m used to the way they work. If algae ever becomes a prob with 24/7 mode, then I use the timer (3 clicks) and wait two weeks to see if there’s improvement. If still an issue I will go to timer, 2 clicks. And so on.

I did like that red/blue mode you mentioned though on the other Hygger! It was nice!

I have not had any problems with this one, the light dims to 10% and you can barely see it, although I do turn it off every night.  This light you can’t put on an external timer, I wish it could be! 
I have too many lights, fluval, beamswork, hygger, etc., not buying anymore.

The thing I don’t like about the 24/7 is once you set it in 24/7 mode you can’t get it off. There’s no factory settings! I want to set my own hours. 
I have unplugged it and let it sit for hours and it still goes back to the same 24/7 schedule.

What does the 3 clicks, 2 clicks, on the timer do?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:12 PM, CatherineD said:

What does the 3 clicks, 2 clicks, on the timer do?

One click will keep the light on 6 hours, two clicks will keep it on 10 hours, and 3 clicks would be 12 hours. Any of these options are shorter than the 24/7 mode, if you are wanting to reduce light time due to algae. The controller itself has a little light that illuminates when you push timer. For example , pushing it once shows a red light on the controller, confirming you chose 6 hours.

In timer mode, the light starts dim, then it ramps up on its own to full brightness, little by little, and toward the end of the time it does dimmer, and dimmer, then off. I like that because it wakes the fish gently. You can choose the color you’d like the light to be when it’s on timer mode as well.

There are multiple ways to use this light. You can just turn it on and do nothing and it will stay on until you turn it off. While using it this way, you can pick one of 7 colors, or have it cycle through all the colors on its own. Or you can use 24/7 mode. Or timed mode.

Initially when you pick your settings for timer, you need to do it at the time of day you want the light to come on each day. Going forward it will remember that. So if I want my light to come on 6am each day, I need to wake up at 6am one time to program it. Click here for manual.

when doing the 24/7 mode, you can do this whenever. You have to click it multiple times based on what time of day you’re sitting down to program it. That’s how it knows what time it currently is. It’s a little confusing at first. The manual is not the greatest, haha.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:24 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

One click will keep the light on 6 hours, two clicks will keep it on 10 hours, and 3 clicks would be 12 hours. Any of these options are shorter than the 24/7 mode, if you are wanting to reduce light time due to algae. The controller itself has a little light that illuminates when you push timer. For example , pushing it once shows a red light on the controller, confirming you chose 6 hours.

In timer mode, the light starts dim, then it ramps up on its own to full brightness, little by little, and toward the end of the time it does dimmer, and dimmer, then off. I like that because it wakes the fish gently. You can choose the color you’d like the light to be when it’s on timer mode as well.

There are multiple ways to use this light. You can just turn it on and do nothing and it will stay on until you turn it off. While using it this way, you can pick one of 7 colors, or have it cycle through all the colors on its own. Or you can use 24/7 mode. Or timed mode.

Initially when you pick your settings for timer, you need to do it at the time of day you want the light to come on each day. Going forward it will remember that. So if I want my light to come on 6am each day, I need to wake up at 6am one time to program it. Click here for manual.

when doing the 24/7 mode, you can do this whenever. You have to click it multiple times based on what time of day you’re sitting down to program it. That’s how it knows what time it currently is. It’s a little confusing at first. The manual is not the greatest, haha.

My problem is I can’t get the light out of the 24/7 mode to use the timer mode. 
The 24/7 mode is a fixed mode and can not be changed, you can’t even change the light intensity.  I want to reset the light. The 24/7 mode has no memory, it only remembers to go back to 24/7.
I had to get up at 7am to program mine more than once, trying and failing to use the DIY mode. 
It’s a beautiful light, but I don’t like that the 24/7 mode is locked in and can’t be changed!
There may be multiple ways to use the light, first I have to find a way to get out of the 24/7 mode! 

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but you’re right their instruction book is from hell🤨 I had to read it multiple times when I first got the light, and I still can’t make sense of it today!

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 10:27 PM, CatherineD said:

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but you’re right their instruction book is from hell🤨 I had to read it multiple times when I first got the light, and I still can’t make sense of it today!

Send me some photos of what you're looking at in DM and what everything is set to and I'll help program it. We'll get it sorted for you!

On 7/1/2023 at 1:27 AM, CatherineD said:

My problem is I can’t get the light out of the 24/7 mode to use the timer mode. 
The 24/7 mode is a fixed mode and can not be changed, you can’t even change the light intensity.  I want to reset the light. The 24/7 mode has no memory, it only remembers to go back to 24/7.
I had to get up at 7am to program mine more than once, trying and failing to use the DIY mode. 
It’s a beautiful light, but I don’t like that the 24/7 mode is locked in and can’t be changed!
There may be multiple ways to use the light, first I have to find a way to get out of the 24/7 mode! 

See if this works for you?

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 6:11 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

See if this works for you?

Ok! It worked so far. Have to wait till tomorrow to really know!
They need to have this in the book. 
Thanks for your help!!!
If I only want 10 hours, that would be 2 clicks instead of 3 clicks.

Discovered another problem, the Algae is coming back, little tiny hairs on my plants but no algae on the glass. 
I have to go back to my Seachem ferts. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 5:57 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Send me some photos of what you're looking at in DM and what everything is set to and I'll help program it. We'll get it sorted for you!

The video I received from Chick-In-Of-TheSea worked, got it out of 24/7 mode, I have to wait until tomorrow to see.

On another note, the old Algae problem has returned! Little small hairs on my plants, and I just added the new plants!
Should I do another blackout or pull the plants and try the Excel dip?

Easy Green and Easy Carbon don’t seem to work.
I’m going back to Seachem fertilizers. What do these plants really need as far as ferts go? 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 1:04 PM, CatherineD said:

The video I received from Chick-In-Of-TheSea worked, got it out of 24/7 mode, I have to wait until tomorrow to see.

On another note, the old Algae problem has returned! Little small hairs on my plants, and I just added the new plants!

I’m going back to Seachem fertilizers. What do these plants really need as far as ferts go? 

Just did a 30% water change on the 36G tank and discovered a very fine layer of brown algae on the glass. Very hard to get off. I tried a sponge and razor scraper, and still can’t get it all off! 
What is this stuff?

• Like 1

Very cool resource here about ridding plants of algae. Quick summary: soaking plants in seltzer water kills most types of algae.

On 7/1/2023 at 1:04 PM, CatherineD said:

@Mmiller2001 can you help?

• Like 1

It’s a biologically immature tank and you keep changing things too frequently. Every time you make a change the plants have to readapt and this is probably the major source of the algae at this time. Set the light to eight hours, don’t change it and keep up on water changes and fertilizer. I’d also stop using Glut.

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 4:48 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

It’s a biologically immature tank and you keep changing things too frequently. Every time you make a change the plants have to readapt and this is probably the major source of the algae at this time. Set the light to eight hours, don’t change it and keep up on water changes and fertilizer. I’d also stop using Glut.

My 36G Bow Front aquarium is 15 years old and has never had a problem like this. 
The tank is very mature, and no changes are made to it, so I don’t think it’s the source of the Algae problem.  
The lighting was a problem but has been corrected.

• Confused 1

On 7/1/2023 at 5:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I can't tell without a photo! 😂

You can’t see it! 
It’s a haze on the inside of the glass, I used a sponge to wipe it and it didn’t come off, so I used a razor scraper, some of it came off, but its so fine you have to keep going over it, because it’s very hard to see!
I wiped off the top inside glass with a paper towel and it was brown, like algae.

On 7/1/2023 at 3:08 PM, CatherineD said:

You can’t see it! 
It’s a haze on the inside of the glass, I used a sponge to wipe it and it didn’t come off, so I used a razor scraper, some of it came off, but its so fine you have to keep going over it, because it’s very hard to see!

There was no photo attached.

You can try moving things temporarily to a tote and running a vinegar soak.

Given the age of the tank, is it possible to be crazing or more likely to be hard water deposits?

On 7/1/2023 at 6:10 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There was no photo attached.

You can try moving things temporarily to a tote and running a vinegar soak.

Given the age of the tank, is it possible to be crazing or more likely to be hard water deposits?

We do have hard water, but it doesn’t look like hard water deposits. 
What is Crazing?

It’s a haze around the glass on the inside, but when you wipe it it’s brown. 
I will try to get a picture of it, but don’t know if I can.

On 7/1/2023 at 3:27 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Very cool resource here about ridding plants of algae. Quick summary: soaking plants in seltzer water kills most types of algae.

@Mmiller2001 can you help?

I am going to try that Reverse Respiration! I was going to trash the old plants and get new ones. I’ll see what happens! 

Thanks, your sending me a lot of good stuff!

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 3:38 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’m guessing he meant cycling? Autocorrect issue maybe?

https://www.glasses.com/gl-us/blog/crazed-lenses

Basically lots of tiny abrasions and it looks foggy. It can happen to glass over time.

Other common reasons are cleaner residues (likely not an issue) or the water deposits or bacteria growing.

The most common reason I would argue for a tank appearing foggy is that the water isn't quite clear. But, that is the tank not necessarily the glass being foggy.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 7:16 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

https://www.glasses.com/gl-us/blog/crazed-lenses

Basically lots of tiny abrasions and it looks foggy. It can happen to glass over time.

Other common reasons are cleaner residues (likely not an issue) or the water deposits or bacteria growing.

The most common reason I would argue for a tank appearing foggy is that the water isn't quite clear. But, that is the tank not necessarily the glass being foggy.

Hahaha 🤪 that was a good one! Cycling!!
The tank is not foggy, the water is clear!
Could be bacteria growing after the blackout.

How to get rid of it?  Is there anything better than a sponge or scraper?
It’s so fine, you only see the spots you missed, when you walk away and look at the tank sideways, then you see the missed spots!

I noticed it after the algae blackout, but didn’t pay much attention to it.

I want to get more fish, but need the tank in perfect condition!

The 24/7 light in 12 hour mode doesn’t seem to change light intensity, does it just stay on the bright light for 12 hours, and you have to change it manually!
It doesn’t ramp up and down? 
I finally just turned it off for the night!

I have lost fish, because I ordered some online that were sick, and I had the worst case of ICH!!!  
Took a month + to clear the tank lost the 7 Mickey Mouse fish I ordered, and 4 of my own! 
I will never order from AH again!!!

I am setting up my new hospital tank (comes equipped with everything) for the new fish I will be getting, if I ever get this tank back in great condition.

On 7/1/2023 at 7:16 PM, CatherineD said:

How to get rid of it?  Is there anything better than a sponge or scraper?
It’s so fine, you only see the spots you missed, when you walk away and look at the tank sideways, then you see the missed spots!

I just use a sponge, like one for dishes or paper towel. anything stronger and you risk marking the glass.

On 7/1/2023 at 10:16 PM, CatherineD said:

have lost fish, because I ordered some online that were sick, and I had the worst case of ICH!!!  
Took a month + to clear the tank lost the 7 Mickey Mouse fish I ordered, and 4 of my own! 
I will never order from AH again!!!

I am setting up my new hospital tank (comes equipped with everything) for the new fish I will be getting, if I ever get this tank back in great condition

I’ve been there. Ich is the WORST! I’m sorry you lost the little guys. This is my setup. I don’t use the trio she mentions, I observe and if necessary treat based on what I see. Aquarium salt is a good all-around med and also helps the fish heal from stress because it stimulates slime coat and provides electrolytes.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 5:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I can't tell without a photo! 😂

I finally got pictures of the tank. The pics look worse than they are.

I was working on the tank today and stirred up the gravel putting the driftwood back in, cutting the plants short, and replanting. 

Now I have hazy water and tiny specks everywhere. I think it’s from the driftwood!

I did the Excel soak on the driftwood and then soaked the wood in a heavy dose of Prime and water for 24 hours, and put the pieces back in the tank wet, I didn’t rinse them!

Here are the pictures. You can see the glass. I turned the light down.IMG_0968.jpeg.697bdedf5b6592919086850520af74dc.jpegIMG_0969.jpeg.caf28553b576b66b682b3535a31ca27e.jpeg

• Confused 1

On 7/3/2023 at 10:44 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It looks like waterspots on the outside of the glass.... if I had to guess. 

I honestly don't know what that is. The pattern is weird for it to be algae or hard water.

Not water spots, it’s inside glass and not hard water!  
The pattern is from the razor scraper blade going up and down.
I need a wide blade! Now it looks like white streaks.

I have different sponges, algae scrapers and those magnetic ones that attach on the inside and outside of the glass. They really don’t work!
I bought the aquarium co op one, it fell apart the first time I used it.

I’ll try different sponges and keep the light turned down so I can see it!

• Haha 1