Plants struggling

Why is my jungle val not thriving when I first got it. it sent out runners then stopped and seems to fall apart faster than it grows same as my Amazon sword grew like a weed the bam slowed down leaves are not as solid of a green I use root tabs and easy green and have a finnex 24/7 hlc my nitrates sit around 25-50ppm it's been running about 6 months 

PXL_20230525_234456354.MP~3.jpg

PXL_20230525_234436650.jpg

Edited by jrose

Have you increased your EZ green dosage as your plants grew? Have you kept up on water changes? What about temperature? Has your tank temperature increased dramatically in temperature with the approaching summer season 

Edited by JoeQ

On 6/7/2023 at 12:06 PM, FLFishChik said:

Currently have this same issue with my Italian Val. Took off the first month I planted it and sent out runners… then stopped altogether. My theory is that I lowered light intensity to battle hair algae and the Vallisneria just isn’t getting enough light to really grow much.

Root tabs?

On 6/7/2023 at 11:11 AM, jrose said:

Why is my jungle val not thriving when I first got it. it sent out runners then stopped and seems to fall apart faster than it grows same as my Amazon sword grew like a weed the bam slowed down leaves are not as solid of a green I use root tabs and easy green and have a finnex 24/7 hlc my nitrates sit around 25-50ppm it's been running about 6 months 

What is your GH in the tank?  A lot of swords (and similar plants will eat a lot of root tabs.  It's just something to keep in mind.  If you are continually having struggles, then perhaps it would be worthwhile to consider pulling the plants and substrate and adding a layer of aquasoil style planted tank substrate.  This would let you reduce your need to use root tabs and give the plants that food they want at the roots. 

In terms of translucent leaves, this is something I have seen and it does point to a certain type of deficiency. Potentially you might need to add in some iron.

There are a few great people here that can help with deficiencies and are much better experienced at them than myself.  Maybe @Seattle_Aquarist can help us out!