Best Water Polishing Media Is....

tetra

Hello,

I'm sure we've all had cloudy water in our tanks, and wanted to clear it up. And its probably gonna be some water polishing filter pads that will do the job. Another water polishing filter media that's sometimes talked about is poly fil, it catches the tiniest of particles in the water until it soon makes the water clear. And its super cheap too, only about 5 dollars on Walmart for a large bag. Now, I wanted to know if poly fil or water polishing filter media designed for aquariums is better.

In your experience, was poly fil or water polishing filter media better? Was poly fil a hassle and only caused more problems? Or was it really helpful and even better at cleaning the water than WPFM?

Thanks in advance.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:43 PM, lefty o said:

i would bet end result will be similar between the two, but read the package of polyfil. you dont want flame retardants or other chemicals on it.

I've actually read on another forum on which poly fil is safe, and which isn't. Someone also said that the poly fil made their fish very ill cause it had those chemicals in it @lefty o.

I use polyfil. It works fine.  Every single cartridge based filter that has the white fuzzy stuff on the outsize.... that's polyfil.  It's used everywhere.

If you're having an issue with water clarity, I dose in some seachem clarity (use your favorite brand) and then polish the water with the HoBs and fine filtration. 

I also get good results from fine filter pads (pond foams).

I use filter wool in my HOBs.

However, if you wanna dose something in the tank, Montmorillonite clay dust works great imo.

I dose it to mineralise my water for shrimp, snails and fish. But as a side benefit, it clears water a lot within minutes! Also helps a lot with molting issues etc.

I get the big roll of pinky floss on amazon. I love the stuff. Depending on how much I want to polish the water, I can just add more layers or less layers. I do find one or two layers works very well. You get a large roll on amazon for fairly cheap and you cut it to size.