Noob - 5-gallon planted - Need lighting schedule advice

So I finally got my 5-gallon tank planted yesterday. This is my 2nd aquarium, first planted tank, and I need lots of coaching and advice. I have a nice Hygger LED rack light with programmable remote. I know how to work the light really well now, but I really don't know what's a good schedule for it. I have mostly all low light plants. How bright should things be and for how long for this new little tank?

Planted_6_3_23.jpg

• Love 1

This pic was taken with full 100% brightness. Just for the photo.

That's cool. I have to figure out the color settings for 25% daylight (????). The split between WRGB...the percentage of each that makes 25%. It doesn't allow me to split it 4 ways evenly. I can program in W=5, R=5, G=5, B=5. That gives me 20% daylight, but which one (or two) should I move up to make it 25%?

Edited by Creature From The Tank

It's usually try it, then adjust.

Part of it depends on how long you look at the tank.
If you see it in the morning and in the evenings, you'd want the lights on so you can see the fish.

If you only really enjoy it in the evenings, then it only has to be on during those hours.

So basically you balance the intensity to how long you want it on.

I like mine on all day – so my lights are set pretty low.
If you only see the tank for a handful of hours, the light can be more intense and just not turned-on as long.

-- Less is usually better.
Too much leads to algae problems, so cutting back on the light is usually the first step.

On 6/5/2023 at 12:49 AM, Creature From The Tank said:

This pic was taken with full 100% brightness. Just for the photo.

That's cool. I have to figure out the color settings for 25% daylight (????). The split between WRGB...the percentage of each that makes 25%. It doesn't allow me to split it 4 ways evenly. I can program in W=5, R=5, G=5, B=5. That gives me 20% daylight, but which one (or two) should I move up to make it 25%?

Nice 5 gallon . 🤑 Glad to see this post for a few reasons . One is the hygger led light . I have been looking into that brand and type of light . Can mimic  morning and evening by a slow rise or decrease in the in the amount of light it will put out . Second is wanting to replant my ten, and seeing what you've done in the 5 gets me thinking ...lol

On 6/5/2023 at 10:44 AM, Jackson said:

Nice 5 gallon . 🤑 Glad to see this post for a few reasons . One is the hygger led light . I have been looking into that brand and type of light . Can mimic  morning and evening by a slow rise or decrease in the in the amount of light it will put out . Second is wanting to replant my ten, and seeing what you've done in the 5 gets me thinking ...lol

Thanks. Hygger's customer service is top notch. Make sure you buy directly from them though (not 3rd party). Less hassle if you have any problems. Once you understand how to program this little light, it's amazing what you can do with it. BTW, I bought my driftwood and rocks off Etsy. The driftwood seller had WYSIWYG with measurements and slate bottoms. Nice stuff.

On 6/5/2023 at 10:02 AM, sumplkrum said:

I like mine on all day – so my lights are set pretty low.

What brightness are set at?

Edited by Creature From The Tank
  • Like 1

Here's my schedule right now:

L1
2:00 p.m~3:00 p.m  (sunrise)

L2
3:00 p.m~4:00 p.m  (daylight-25%)

L3
4:00 p.m~8:00 p.m  (daylight-35%)

L4
8:00 p.m~9:00 p.m  (daylight-25%)

L5
9:00 p.m~10:00 p.m  (sunset)

L6
10:00 p.m~11:30 p.m  (moonlight-blue light)

L7
11:30 p.m~11:30 p.m  (brightness to "0")

L8
11:00 p.m~1:59 p.m  (L8 is off by default and cannot be set)

• Like 1