Is this snail alive?

Tfred82

So I’m new to the fish keeping hobby, so excuse me if this is a dumb question. I picked up a new golden Inca snail today from a shop that I trust, when I got home I placed it in my tank like I’ve done all my other stock. Tonight I noticed it hadn’t moved from where it has been sitting all day. When I took a closer look at it I saw a hard dark brown “thing” covering the opening that reminds me of a thin finger nail. My question is did I get a dead snail or is this normal… or should I try to remove the “thing”? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Don’t remove the “thing”.  It’s the snails operculum and if you try to remove it you will almost certainly kill the snail.  It’s not unusual for these snails, also known as a gold mystery snail (they come in other colors), to sit for a while before opening up and exploring.  If it smells bad, then it’s dead.  It should only have a very, very mild, “fish tank” and “shell” smell.

• Like 1

In my experience, if not drip acclimated, snails take longer time to open up in a new environment. Also they are interesting creatures. There have been times my mystery snails slept for 3 days without moving.

As the Odd Duck said, its operculum and this is how they protect themselves in their shell when needed. 

Operculum is mostly made of protein, meanwhile the shell needs calcium. That is why both calcium and protein is advised in their diet. You may offer some blanched calcium rich veggies for your new friend. 

other reasons may be water being too cold so snails become inactive. Or any potential fish that bothers them in the tank so they are scared to open up. But as you mentioned he is new, that’s normal. Try to offer a food very near to him.

Let him sit and settle in the tank, touching him further will stress him instead 🙂

As long as operculum is there, and there is no bad smell, it’s fine. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Edited by Lennie

The thing covering it is a little door the snail keeps itself safe with and I’d just give it a couple days and see what happens. I don’t think the bio load of one little dead snail for a couple days would hurt anything and I’m learning it’s best to just give stuff time in the hobby.