Gravel to Sand

On 6/14/2023 at 9:33 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Are you using fine floss or Polyfil?  

Tagging @nabokovfan87

Water level is too low! Raise it to right below the rim.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:42 AM, LoveMyPlatys said:

By the end of the day, all of it sunk down into my gravel. It was a good idea though

The cap has to be very thick to compact itself and to work. Usually that is over 1.5" thick.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:39 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

If the filter output is decreased, some particulates may have gotten into the pump. You may have to rinse the pump under tap water.

100%. Take the filter to the sink and give it a good rinse. Be sure to remove the impeller and to check the magnet for damage. Lubricating the shaft of the pump is also beneficial. Silicone grease from a dive shop recommended.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 12:51 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The cap has to be very thick to compact itself and to work. Usually that is over 1.5" thick.

I did 2"

On 6/14/2023 at 12:51 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Silicone grease from a dive shop

May also be labeled as "o ring silicone" or "o ring lubricant"

I'm seeing a foam on top of the water.  Might want to do an ammonia test just in case.  Foam can also be caused by fish meds, if you've recently used any, or certain dechlorinators (such as Stress Coat).

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 12:06 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I did 2"

May also be labeled as "o ring silicone" or "o ring lubricant"

I'm seeing a foam on top of the water.  Might want to do an ammonia test just in case.  Foam can also be caused by fish meds, if you've recently used any, or certain dechlorinators (such as Stress Coat).

Makes sense about the 2” cap.

I came home and it was working fine. I. Think I’m still going to buy that lubricant when I go to town Friday. 

I have never used meds so far.  I used salt back when I only had Platys in my tank and they got ich (I won’t buy from that store now.) My well water always tests no chlorine. The foam is probably from either sand dirt (even though I pre rinsed it well) or my well water does that sometimes. Has something to do with how parts in the well are hooked up. 

Nitrates are like 10 ppm and nitrites are 0. I don’t have ammonia tests because I didn’t think it was needed for cycled tanks. 

Thanks for all your help. After I respond, I’ll top off the tank with another gallon or so. Water is still cloudy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 4:16 PM, LoveMyPlatys said:

I don’t have ammonia tests because I didn’t think it was needed for cycled tanks. 

Ammonia is one of “the big 3” parameters to test for. It is the most toxic of them all to your aquatic animals. Things can happen in a cycled tank that may still cause ammonia, from food fouling the water, to an organism dying, overstocking, or beneficial bacteria dying (perhaps from a power outage where the media dried out, perhaps from necessary medications or from salt). Various things. Suppose you had a fish that gives birth and you begin feeding powdered food to the fry. You’d want to watch your ammonia level closely with those powdered foods; some hobbyists have had their entire tank die due to an ammonia spike caused by that. Ammonia testing is one of the best preventative measures you can take for the safety of your animals, IMO.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 6/14/2023 at 6:26 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ammonia is one of “the big 3” parameters to test for. It is the most toxic of them all to your aquatic animals. Things can happen in a cycled tank that may still cause ammonia, from food fouling the water, to an organism dying, overstocking, or beneficial bacteria dying (perhaps from a power outage where the media dried out, perhaps from necessary medications or from salt). Various things. Suppose you had a fish that gives birth and you begin feeding powdered food to the fry. You’d want to watch your ammonia level closely with those powdered foods; some hobbyists have had their entire tank die due to an ammonia spike caused by that. Ammonia testing is one of the best preventative measures you can take for the safety of your animals, IMO.

Yep 3 days straight my new tank with guppy's in it was great zero across the board them boom I come home today and ammonia. You can never really test to much especially early on in a tank. It did not come as to much of a surprise since it has only ran thru the "cycle" twice before I added fish. I know it won't take to long to get it consistent. 

On 6/14/2023 at 3:39 PM, TeeJay said:

Yep 3 days straight my new tank with guppy's in it was great zero across the board them boom I come home today and ammonia. You can never really test to much especially early on in a tank. It did not come as to much of a surprise since it has only ran thru the "cycle" twice before I added fish. I know it won't take to long to get it consistent. 

Yep....!  Sometimes stuff just happens.  If you run into issues, here is the secret ^^.

Gotta love that sound effect in the beginning 😂

Wow! I made sure to keep the good bacteria “alive”. I just tested again and nitrites still 0 and nitrates at 10. If I get ammonia tests Friday, will they be ok? I noticed the foam before I added the fish. Happens when I rinse substrate with my hose (sand was washed with the hose). So I’m wondering if the foam is from my hose. I might need to research well water. Happens in our basement sink also but not other sinks or the bath. I use the kitchen sink for water changes because I know it’s safe. We have a filter and UV light on all our water. 

Edited by LoveMyPlatys

On 6/14/2023 at 9:14 PM, LoveMyPlatys said:

Friday, will they be ok?

Whenever you get it is fine. The main thing if you're seeing stress signs is to do a water change. If you're having well water issues and that is causing stress then you'd want to take other steps.

On 6/15/2023 at 4:03 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Whenever you get it is fine. The main thing if you're seeing stress signs is to do a water change. If you're having well water issues and that is causing stress then you'd want to take other steps.

Ok, cool! If I can do a water change to help, I’ll do that just in case. I Googled it and same thing the plumber and well guys said. It’s usually normal to have that happen. They said if it suddenly happens, then there’s more concern but we’ve  had it for the 5 years we’ve lived here. There’s a minute chance of a few things, but If it wasn’t safe for the fish, it wouldn’t be safe for us and the health department advised us on the UV light to make it safe for us based on the $65 water test of like a million things. So surely it’s fine.