Electrical Safety ⚡​​​​​​ 🔥

DaveSamsell

Electrical Safety ⚡​​​​​​ 🔥  

23 members have voted

1. 1. ⚡​  Do you use surge protection and\or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets or other devices for your aquarium electrical equipment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
    • Use other devices

Anything that is in the water or has the possibility of falling in a tank, such as heaters, lights I plug into a GFCI protected outlet. My central air pump, dehumidifier and other things in fishroom are just plugged into a normal outlet. I did run a dedicated circuit just for my central air pump, even though it technically doesn't need it, just as a safety measure, that something else wouldn't kick the breaker and knock out all my filtration.

I don't use GFCI in the fishroom so I suppose I could shock the snot out of myself, but in 51 years of keeping fish I have yet to shock myself with something aquarium related. But if I suddenly stop posting tomorrow, it will be because I jinxed it and went to that big aquarium in the sky due to electrocution. 

On the other hand, although not exactly surge protection, I have do have 2 APC 3000VA's that all my aquarium stuff is hooked into. I think this suppresses surges, but I have it just cover times when the power is out.

I don't have squat on the big tank because I think it would be fine for months if not indefinitely without power. When we have had extended outages, we use the water from the big tank to flush toilets and cook with.

But I think the ultimate back up plan would be just a whole bunch of the USB Nano air pumps running off battery backup. I bet that would run forever.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

I don't use GFCI in the fishroom so I suppose I could shock the snot out of myself, but in 51 years of keeping fish I have yet to shock myself with something aquarium related. But if I suddenly stop posting tomorrow, it will be because I jinxed it and went to that big aquarium in the sky due to electrocution...

...I don't have squat on the big tank because I think it would be fine for months if not indefinitely without power. When we have had extended outages, we use the water from the big tank to flush toilets and cook with.

But I think the ultimate back up plan would be just a whole bunch of the USB Nano air pumps running off battery backup. I bet that would run forever.

I needed this bright spot today. Thanks. Please don't suddenly stop posting, I will assume I have jinxed you. 

• Haha 1