Quarantine meds questions

lmhicks101

This is a 2 part question. I just got 8 cardinal tetras and 8 harlequin rasboras to replenish the schools I have. The harlequins are from Petco and look good but the cardinals are from a LFS that look good but many fish I’ve gotten from them have had issues. They’re currently in a new 10 gallon cycled quarantine tank with a sponge filter from the main tank they’ll be in.

In addition to them I put an injured cardinal I already had into here to get some meds in it. It has what looks like an absess on the base of its tail and has issues staying righted and swimming. I dosed the tank with Maracyn, paraclense, and Ich-x. The question. Is should I do a full treatment as the source of the fish are known to be unhealthy or just 1 dose trio treatment? Also should I feed the injured fish with kanaplex now or later?

I won’t be here during the week to monitor them but someone can come and add meds and do water changes as needed but wouldn’t know what to look for so that’s why I’m wondering if I should just do a full treatment of paraclense and maracyn then Ichx next week. 

This is a clean freshly put up tank with a cycled sponge filter from the main tank. It’s also planted with a couple Java ferns, a chain sword, and a wendtti. 

temp - 79°

ph - 6.6-7

ammonia -0

nitrite - 0 

nitrate - 5-10

kh - 1-2

gh - 9-12

Sorry for the bad pic. They’re cardinals and are spooked so this was from 10 feet away zoomed in to get them to sit still long enough.

IMG_0450.jpeg

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg

• Like 1

Personally, I’d wait on dosing more meds unless there’s _clearly_ signs of health problems.

If your caretaker can make a 60-sec film of them daily for you, you can assess their condition.

I think the med trio is genius. But there are some drawbacks. Sometimes you save fish. Other times the med-application, QT tank setup, etc really brings its own issues. My personal opinion is that if you’re working in high volume of fish from various sources, then it makes sense to dose the trio. But small volume like you’re describing, maybe so-so advisability.

On 5/15/2023 at 12:52 PM, Fish Folk said:

My personal opinion is that if you’re working in high volume of fish from various sources, then it makes sense to dose the trio. But small volume like you’re describing, maybe so-so advisability.

I’m actually getting an additional 8 cardinals, 4-6 harlequins, and 40 chili rasboras this week that’ll be in that tank. 

• Like 1