Fry tank

I use this tank for fry (if I get to them soon enough) from other tanks.

Hardware:

Aqueon 29 gallon tank
Imagitarium Brooklyn metal tank stand
Sicce Shark Pro 800 internal filter
Eheim Jager 100W heater
Hygger 36W light
Kasa smart plug power strip

Fish:

"Feeder guppies" (Endler's?)
Various fry
Chili Rasbora
Cherry shrimp
Albino bristlenose pleco
Malaysian trumpet snails
Ramshorn snails

This tank is really easy to maintain. I just pop off the bottom section of the Sicce (biological media is in the top section). In the bottom section, I have a small piece of sponge (1/4 of the original sponge), filter floss, carbon, and a little more filter floss. I used clear silicone to "permanently" attach the top section of the Sicce (biological) to the power head (the Sicce Shark Pro droops a little at that connection, allowing bypass).

image.png.e7d3d1015fae7ff95e1557cc0aa063bf.png

4 gallon water change once per week, adding (1g MgSo4, 1g CaSo4, 0.5g Instant Ocean Sea Salt, 1g SeaChem Sea Buffer, 0.5g KNO3). Nitrate is currently undetectable. So, I'll probably bump up the KNO3.

The guppies in the tank were "feeder guppies" from a local store. I think they might be Endler's. They are very small (the males are not much bigger than the chili rasboras).

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 5

Aquarium Co Op pleco and chili rasboras. 🙂

I'll some times sit in front of my 40 breeder with a tiny net and "fish," waiting for the little fry to stick their heads out.  I scoop them up and put them here. 🙂

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I have a similar two compartment internal filter. I agree that maintenance is super easy. I use Aquarium Co-op coarse sponge in both chambers and it runs about 3-4 weeks before needing a cleaning. It’s also absolutely silent. 

Nice tank!!

• Love 1

For me, it's a game changer.  I've done canister, hang-on-back, other internal filters, under gravel, even those little plastic boxes with the lift tube that I used in the 70s and 80s. 🙂. I enjoy the hobby so much more now that I can be "lazy" with the filter.

Something like this is what I started with: https://www.amazon.com/Lees-Triple-Flow-Corner-Filter-Small/dp/B0002APWDS (but not quite so advanced). 🙂

filter.jpg

I bit of advice for those internal power filters.  When you pop them off and take them out, just turn them upside down.  That way, the water drains out through the part of the sponge or floss that isn't saturated yet.  So, you don't get waste falling back into the tank.

The plastic bag approach mentioned in the Aquarium Co Op videos also works. However, with the Sicce it isn't needed as just removing it upside down from the water works just fine.

Oh, and Cory, maybe you could design one of those plastic box filters above but with a weighted bottom and include a corse sponge... 🙂

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1

Also, maybe combine the Aquarium Co Op power head with a two quick-disconnect filter compartments (so we can keep biological media in the top and only change the bottom).  Maybe something like: https://www.amazon.com/Weipro-Aquarium-Submersible-Aquariums-Suction/dp/B0BS5G1YG7

I'll buy (anything where the water has to flow from the bottom to the top)!!! 🙂

filter_example.jpg

filter_example2.jpg

filter_example3.jpg

On 5/10/2023 at 3:06 PM, Patrick_G said:

I have a similar two compartment internal filter. I agree that maintenance is super easy. I use Aquarium Co-op coarse sponge in both chambers and it runs about 3-4 weeks before needing a cleaning. It’s also absolutely silent. 

Nice tank!!

@Patrick_G By any chance do you remember the brand of your internal filter? I’m very particular with sound and appreciate other hobbyists recommendations. 

• Like 1

Positives of the Sicce Shark Adv 800:

-- Super easy to clean

-- Many options for stacking media

-- Water moves from bottom to top

Negatives:

-- Lack of quality

* Of the 4 that I have, the front nozzle (which I don't use) doesn't fit properly (on 3 of them).  The tolerance seems to be off and the piece doesn't quite fit all the way around (like it should) and likes to pop off.

* Of the 4 that I have, the first section droops from the power head enough that I needed to use silicon to seal it (on 3 of them). Either the magnet isn't strong enough or the tolerances are off somehow.

-- It cavitates, at least with the way I've set it up.

You hear about the great quality of Sicce pumps.  However, that doesn't seem to extend to their cheaper internal filters. 😞

That being said, they (the Shark Adv) are my first choice for filtration.

Edited by Galabar