CPDs and fish pricing

Scaperoot

I was wondering how long it took for the price of CPDs to become what it is today. From my understanding, they were introduced around 2006. Today, they're very common and pretty affordable. Does anyone remember how much they cost back then? The reason I ask is because I recently found out about the Cenepa Super Red Pencilfish. If I read correctly, they were introduced about a year or two ago. How long would it typically take for prices ($30 each) to drop? I'm guessing this all depends on how well they sell once introduced. 

Looks like my local fish farm has good prices (3 for $18) in comparison. I fell in love with them from vids and pics, but I've lost most of the 24 I bought last year. I had them in separate tanks, but I'm only left with about 5 total now😕. On the other hand, my white cloud mountain minnows and golden minnows have thrived during that time. I recently added golden tetras instead of replacing the CPDs. They're (CPDs) beautiful, but I won't be getting more. When I want to look at a tank where CPDs are thriving, I go to Dean's channel😁 

On 5/8/2023 at 9:24 PM, Scaperoot said:

Looks like my local fish farm has good prices (3 for $18) in comparison. I fell in love with them from vids and pics, but I've lost most of the 24 I bought last year. I had them in separate tanks, but I'm only left with about 5 total now😕. On the other hand, my white cloud mountain minnows and golden minnows have thrived during that time. I recently added golden tetras instead of replacing the CPDs. They're (CPDs) beautiful, but I won't be getting more. When I want to look at a tank where CPDs are thriving, I go to Dean's channel😁 

Gold minnows are super adorable. I really like the way they look. Well, yellow and orange colors are generally my fav on fish anyway. So I am very much biased on that one 😄 

Pencilfish are also really good looking. Sadly I have never seen them available locally here. 

CPDs are not really my type of fish. In pics and videos, they looked super cool but when I saw them irl, I wasn't impressed. This happens quite a lot to me. My opinion change a lot when  I see a fish irl and online. I feel lucky that my LFS carries soo many fish so I have a chance to observe fish irl. 

It is all relative to the demand, good old supply vs demand. They may have been introduced to the hobby in 2006, but I don't recall ever seeing them in an LFS until within the last 6-8 years maybe. I remember the first time I saw them in an LFS they were going for $9.99 each. I know several years ago there was several YouTube creators putting them in a bunch of tanks so the demand spiked for them. The last time I was in a LFS nd remember seeing a price they were $5.99 each.

Yeah, supply and demand plays a role. A good narrative can help also. I'm convinced that you could take a common platy, invent a story of how they only exist in one small body of water and only two are allowed to be harvested each year, put a $10,000 price tag on it, and a few hobbyists would be lining up outside your door to get it. People want the rare, exotic, expensive stuff and the right narrative can sell anything.

I was around in about 2010 when my lfs got CPDs for the first time. They were $12 a pop. Absolutely gorgeous but didn’t have a ton of demand. Likely because of the price tag. People then, according to the LFS would only spend big money on large fish. Oscars, jack knives, shovel cats, and the infamous arowana.

I tend to agree. Keeping “nano fish” wasn’t as popular then. But pencil fish have been around for as long as I can remember too and they have always been an “exotic” nano fish. I have never, until recently, seen them drop below $10 per fish.

I think it’s a two pronged issue. Popularity and accessibility. For a long time they were not popular. A drab fish thats shy and camouflages doesn’t exactly sell most people (see the African Leaf Fish). And accessibility in that most breeders likely didn’t bother breeding the fish so most were wild caught. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 11:32 AM, Lennie said:

CPDs are not really my type of fish. In pics and videos, they looked super cool but when I saw them irl, I wasn't impressed. This happens quite a lot to me. My opinion change a lot when  I see a fish irl and online. I feel lucky that my LFS carries soo many fish so I have a chance to observe fish irl. 

I’m of the same opinion. They are beautiful little fish under the right light and magnification, but I’ve at the store never been impressed enough to buy them. The price sure doesn’t help. 

• Like 1