Help indentify rummynose disease

beastie

So, I bought a group of 20 rummynose early december 2022. Quarantined for three weeks, no issues, moved them to a 360l tank. Two months or so ago one rummynose got slimmer, weirder, sunken belly and died within a week. No loss of color. I suspect internal parasites, I think my ember tetras have them, I do not have massive die outs, I lose one every few months, I cant treat the tank, so it is what it is.

Now three weeks ago, I noticed two rummynose looking weird. I need help identifying what weird is it. Lets start with the smaller, less affected one, because of this fish, I have a picture. The fish is missing the top fin, completely. On one side of the body there is sort of pineconing, it feels like the scales are lifted and maybe bubbles or something are between the scales and the skin. One eye seems a bit bloated from certain angles.

Second fish is even more prominent, the body sort of sparkles, but not in a good way. More pineconing, maybe more bloat as well, on both sides of the body, but it is a female, it is 2 cm larger than the smaller fish (assume male, they were different sizes when I got them). Since discovering this, I did 40% water changes every three days. I did more feeding breaks ( I feed live bbs, frozen daphnia, cyclops, artemia, fluval bug bites, dennerle shrimp king, hikari cichlid gold, ...) The fish look exactly the same. Not worse, not better. There is no attempt at regrowth of the missing fin. I saw ONE white spot on the head of the larger sick fish for few days.  Both fish eat regularly, swim regularly, stay within the shoal, no hiding in any corners, no gasping for breath, no laying on the substrate/surface.

After two days of chasing, bottle traps and waiting with the net, I caught one of the fish, the smaller one. I dont think the stress of the chase will help it, but what can be done. I put it in a 1l of water with 1 teaspoon of epsom salt for 15 minutes, for a targeted salt bath. Then I moved it to a heated tub (25°C, same as main tank). I dont have a filter, but I have frogbit and duckweed in it and plan to change water daily. I have esha 2000 that I plan to start using tomorrow.

Now I keep thinking dropsy, bacterial infection. But I have 80 fish in the large tank, 30 embers, remaining 17 rummynose, 15 sterbai corydoras, 5 bolivian ram, 6 otocinclus, 8 hatchetfish. Neither has any symptomps, no bloat, no sunken bellies, no long poop, no visible parasites, no ich, no nothing. If it were ich or dropsy, wouldnt the whole tank go? Or whole species? Thanks to massive amounts of mts in the substrate, thiara scabra in the substrate, several nerites, amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp,... I cant treat the tank. I will attempt to catch the other fish, though I feel like I need to start day drinking to survive this, but I will try to treat them.

Any advise on what the heck is it is appreciated

1683462458365.jpg

IMG-0974.JPG

IMG-0972.JPG

Frist you can treat with medicated food to deal with internal parasites it less likely to harm your shrimp and snails he's a recipe you can use with levamisole also the    pineconing your seeing can be caused by internal parasites it's doesn't necessarily mean Dropys you can often get secondary bacterial infections associated with parasitic infections what I would do is a course of levamisole in food feed a small amount twice a day for 1 day repeat the treatment once a week for 4 weeks the two fish showing pineconing and scale loss I would treat with levamisole and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon in quarantine  @beastie

IMG_20230115_234843.jpg

Edited by Colu

I finally heard back from my vet

She has a 100ml package of chemisole, which is 20% levamisol. which makes it 200mg per 1 ml of the medication.

Is it worth the purchase and will I be able to dose it correctly? Thanks

On 5/9/2023 at 1:06 PM, beastie said:

I finally heard back from my vet

She has a 100ml package of chemisole, which is 20% levamisol. which makes it 200mg per 1 ml of the medication.

Is it worth the purchase and will I be able to dose it correctly? Thanks

Am not familiar with chemisole as its used to treat  birds it might have other compounds that could be harmful to your fish am going to tag for a second opinion @Odd Duck

4 days in the quarantine tub (no filter) and the fish is way worse

Same pineconing, no change in the fin status and the fish lost all color, full stress on. They stand still in a corner, no eating, no nothing.

Any news on the chemisole?

by335jqav6za1.jpeg