Fish Personalities?

Bigmike

There are a few fish im considering adding to my tank, and am wanting to hear from anyone who's kept them what their personalities are like. Are they outgoing, playful, curious, timid, shy, etc. Here's the fish in question:

Rummynose Tetras

Celestial Pearl Danios

Guppies

Endlers

Fish in the tank currently are Neon Tetras and a Peacock Gudgeon. Thanks so much! 😄

Edited by Bigmike
  • Like 2

My Celestial pearl danios are very boisterous. High energy and need a decent amount of swim space to really show their personality. Always first in line for food. These are one of my favorite fish. 

Guppies are fantastic fun. However have an exit strategy for fry. They are livebearing and will be prolific. My guppies were not first in line for food they were simply ALWAYS in line for food. Very fun. 

@TeeJay was looking into peacock gudgeons. They decided against those because he also wanted Aspidora and CPD. Peacock gudgeons from what we found researching are slow eaters and easily outcompeted for food. 

Looking forward to seeing what you choose. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, Guppysnail said:

Guppies are fantastic fun. However have an exit strategy for fry. They are livebearing and will be prolific. My guppies were not first in line for food they were simply ALWAYS in line for food. Very fun. 

@TeeJay was looking into peacock gudgeons. They decided against those because he also wanted Aspidora and CPD. Peacock gudgeons from what we found researching are slow eaters and easily outcompeted for food. 

My gudgeon is a slow eater, can confirm. I've been feeding Xtreme nano pellets and some inevitably lands on the plants and hardscape. My neons don't touch that stuff but the gudgeon will hunt down the fallen pellets, usually when I check about 15 minutes after feeding she has a nice full belly 😆. I also feed freeze dried daphnia as a treat and she does a better job of getting that mid-water.

As far as guppy fry, I'm planning to add some floating plants soon, not sure if floater roots are adequate cover for them. I don't have a big enough tank to support a huge guppy population so if nature takes its course and most of the fry get eaten it's not the worst thing I guess.

Thanks so much for the input! I really love CPDs but had heard they can be really shy and hide all the time. Glad to hear they're outgoing as long as you give them proper conditions and space.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 7:15 PM, Bigmike said:

space

That’s the key. In small tanks they hide. They know they are fast and can escape in big tanks but feel threatened and trapped in small. 
This is my 40 breeder with CPD so you can see their energy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have endlers in a 12g tub, and rummynoses in a 42g tank.

Rummynoses looove to swim around with a good size school, so consider them if you have a big and long tank I would say. Very energetic. Their red face is a great sign of how well is your tank doing. If their red face fades away, there must be something wrong. They can easily get stressed even during water changes tho. But they are very hardy in my experience.

Endlers aren't so active, babies are adorable, and they are very colorful. I just don't like males bullying females. So I would advice getting one male to 3 female, it helps with distracting male between females a lot. But yea, be ready for tons of babies 😄 

Never kept neons or peacock gud so no clue how these would go together, but I personally like one schooling fish unless the tank is quite big.

Also I forgot to mention, livebearers would appreciate harder water with high ph. What's your water like?

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 3:40 AM, Lennie said:

Also I forgot to mention, livebearers would appreciate harder water with high ph. What's your water like?

I have hard water which is why I am considering the endlers and guppies

I had endlers and never again. LOL. They bullied each other relentlessly. I had 9 males in a 20 gallon long and the only thing they would do is bully each other and every other fish in the tank constantly despite the fact the tank is heavily planted with lots of hiding spots. It ended up being rather stressful. XD