Can female and male honey gouramis be kept together?

I’m planning to get a 55gallon, and I’m gonna plant it very densely (water wisteria, guppy grass, pearlweed, hornwort and so on.)

I want to stock it with 9 sparkling gouramis, some chilli rasboras, some otocinculous, and maybe some endlers. 
I was just wondering whether I could keep a pair of honey gouramis as centrepiece fish, so whether there would be aggression or not.

also if I did end up putting all the fish I listed in, would it be overstocked?

Welcome to the forum.  I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen long-time gourami keepers recommend not mixing species, so it might be best to go with one or the other.  In a tank that large you could have a couple dozen of either if you wanted.

Pearl gouramis would be another good option, if you're interested in looking at something a little larger.  I have a group of them in a 40 gallon breeder tank and really like them.

As far as your question about overstocking, it's difficult to say without numbers on the other species, though if you get female endlers you would likely become overstocked at some point, since they're very prolific.  Of course if you get all males that won't be a problem.

• Haha 1

In my experience, my honey gourami and sparkling gouramis did not care about each other. They lived super peacefully.

But sparkling gouramis and bettas hated each other. 

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Awww 😞

‘I wanted was considering sparkling gouramis with bettas 

I really like sparklers, so how many of them could I keep in a 55 gallon?

im planning on maybe 15ish chillies, 8ish ottos, and maybe a honey or pearl gourami, but I still want the tank to be understocked

and I’ve also read that each sparkler needs 10-15 gallons all to themselves, but they seem quite small

I keep 4male and 1 female honey gourami in a 29. They are super peaceful. They are with my Badis badis. I doubt they would bother the sparkling gourami. They are water puppy wet pets that recognize and interact with me but pay no attention to other fish. 
I have never kept sparkling gourami so I don’t know how they interact. 

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2023 at 12:31 AM, Leelaaaa said:

I wanted was considering sparkling gouramis with bettas 

Tried 3 different bettas with them. My bettas are peaceful versus everything, even barely flared vs each other.

Whenever I introduced a betta to sparkling gourami tank (33g), they directly swam toward betta and watched them. Bettas? They chase them always until they are out of their vision. They don't care about any other tank mates including shrimp.

I have my plakat male in the tank with them now and the tank is quite planted, but he just does not like them at all. That's for sure 🙂 I would not advice it tbh.

Here is a selfie of honey and one of my sparklings from my tank ;D 

image.jpeg.caf35e94f6727f8e46fd9b0dc8279aea.jpeg

• Love 1

On 5/5/2023 at 9:44 AM, Leelaaaa said:

So honey gouramis no sparklers worked out?

your fish are epic 😄

In my experience honey gourami worked with lots of things I've tried. Angels, rosy barbs, red lizard whiptails, pygmy cories, sterbais, pleco, rummynoses, sparkling gouramis, shrimp, snail, rams...

• Love 1

I'm my opinion, honey gourami are more subject to non aggression, compared to sparkling gourami. Sparking gourami could have a place to call there own, with hiding spots. Giving plants, rocks, based off gallons. Etc. Would have tremendous helping in keeping sparkling gourami. Just my two sense. And welcome to the forum. If you need anything let us know. 

• Haha 1