Stressed fish?!

FriendlyLoach

Hey everyone,

I feel like I should know this, but I just wanted to hear your thoughts. I rescued some goldfish and am quarantining them. I have 7 goldfish in an un-cycled 30 gallon. I know it's bad but I did not have time to set up a big cycled tank. I am doing a 50% water change every 2-3 days. The water temp is 10 degrees cooler than their old tank and I think the water chemistry was different (I am on a well). Anyways they have been sitting at the bottom of the tank for 2 days now, they have eaten a bit but do you think they will pull through?

How big are the goldfish? Do you by chance know how different the water was. I think the only real factor with different water chemistry would be if the pH had a huge difference some difference is fine in my opinion. What is the temp in the tank? Have you been using any medications? Pics?

goldfish are definitely stressed, not from the temperature they would have adjusted for by now. In terms of the water changes, what water conditioner do you use? the behavior they are displaying in the photo look like ammonia or chloramine, however, since you are changing water frequently I am willing to bet chloramine is the problem. If you do an API liquid ammonia test on your tap water if you have it, it will false positive for high ammonia. 

Oh yeah on the well def not chloramine or chlorine, I would do less water changes in that case, I thought they have been in this tank for a while now right? that should have been enough time for them to adjust to the PH unless the PH is really low that its burning them but I think that is unlikely coming out of a well. what is your PH? 

I would add prime and do nothing to watch for further behavior, water changes can be stressful on fish so unless the water needs to be changed I wouldn't do it every 2 to 3 days. also watch for signs of flashing or scraping, ammonia is more dangerous at higher PH so keep an eye on the ammonia level. I would do a 50% change every time the ammonia test shows 1 ppm ammonia 

• Thanks 1