First ever batch of Snello!

TCoach

Made my first ever batch of Snello this morning.  Hoping my Mystery and Rabbit snails love it.

Mixed ~2TBS of Repashy with a tsp of calcium, a full pack of baby food, and boiling water.  Poured it into my mini ice cube mold and put it in the freezer.

Hoping to feed some this afternoon after I get back from church.  🙂

For those with experience, anything you would recommend changing?  Also, is there any fruits or veggies I should avoid?  I bought a mixed box of the baby food, so there all sorts of combinations.

Thanks,

TCoach

IMG_2690.jpeg

IMG_2688.jpeg

IMG_2689.jpeg

Edited by TCoach

Hey there,

I have just checked the ingredients of the baby food you have used, and I personally have never seen aquatic snails being fed chickpeas and raisins. I am not really sure if it is safe or not to be honest.

As long as it is organic, salt free, and pesticide free, The stuff I feed my snails are:

zucchini, kale, green beans, carrot, pumpkin, collard greens, turnip greens

Spinach is safe but high in oxylates so blocks calcium intake. So can be fed rarely.

Lettuce and cucumber are very low in nutrition and can be addicting for snails, so that's a pass for me.

Also I would add some protein there. It is great that you try to keep veggie, algae and calcium content high. But they also need a bit of protein in their diet. You can surely provide it with other fish or snail foods or frozen foods and don't have to add it to your snello.

My question is: do you think repashy will act enough as a binder when you drop snello to the tank? Generally gelatin or agar agar is used to bind the snello to make sure it stays firm once introduced to the tank.

But yea, chickpea and raisin part is questionable to me. Any ideas guys? @Guppysnail @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 4/30/2023 at 7:45 AM, Lennie said:

zucchini, kale, green beans, carrot, pumpkin, collard greens, turnip greens

My gang likes zucchini, cucumber, (agree cukes have low nutrition- they are occasional foods, like if I’m making a salad, I may “share”)

Also pumpkin, cabbage, sweet potato, green beans, carrot, bell peppers

They don’t like lettuce, kale, asparagus, or Swiss chard

I don’t see why you couldn’t add stuff to Repashy, but I’d say make sure the ratio is mostly Repashy, so it sets properly, and add the calcium carbonate. 

For DIY Snello (no Repashy), I add bloodworms or brine shrimp (thawed) to the mix for protein. 

My snails also eat the leftover sinking fish foods and bloodworms from the bottom of my tank in addition to eating the Snello.

My signature line below has the 2 methods that I have had success with. 

chickpea and raisin

Unfamiliar with these ingredients (also pear) for aquatic snails.

If I were to do a baby food one, I’d do straight green bean because they love it.

Also I have heard that baby foods with Vitamin D should be avoided (not sure why but I did read that in some recipes I’ve looked at).

Also I would add some protein there

The Repashy contains ample protein.

My question is: do you think repashy will act enough as a binder when you drop snello to the tank? Generally gelatin or agar agar is used to bind the snello to make sure it stays firm once introduced to the tank.

Repashy contains gelatin. (For example, in Repashy Soilent Green it is called locust bean gum). More gelatin (Knox unflavored or agar agar) can be added to your recipe if it doesn’t set right @TCoach

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

So, here is what I have been using for my bottom feeders and now have adapted it for my snail farm tank 

1/4 C of a equal mixture of Repashy Super Green and Community Plus

1  heaping tsp Vibrabites (powdered with a mortar and pestle)

1 tsp Bug Bites (powdered ^)

1/4 tsp finely powdered eggshell (added to snail batch)

1/2 tsp freeze dried daphnia.

Everyone seems to love it.

it sets just fine 

• Thanks 1