Safe-T-Sorb charge or not to charge?

I'm thinking about starting a 55 gallon using safe-t-sorb. problem is, i don't want to charge the substrate for 2 mos or so. can i just put it in and dose the heck out of it with ferts both in the substrate and in the water column or do i REALLY need to charge it with ferts for a couple mos?

• Like 1

Heavy fertilizer will affect your water chemistry drastically. I think this is part of the reason for slow charging. If you move too fast, you’ll be dealing with a tank of liquid nitrate. Fish will suffer, and algae will explode. I recommend using loads of root tabs, and planting that thing full with a wide assortment.

Lighting will be your constant battle. A 55 gal. requires adequate light penetration. 

The tank is currently planted and has gravel in it, I'm re-scaping it and adding different fish. was thinking switching to SafeTSorb. It would be heavily planted with 2 cycled HOB and an in use fluidized moving bed filter. I have o use tons of root tabs and ferts now, figured it would be the same no matter what. i didn't intend to cap it with anything, or use it with any other substrate. 

On 4/29/2023 at 12:46 PM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

I used some type of this and hated it, nothing but problems. (Weird junk coming out of it all the time)

Using kitty litter now with no problems.

So with the kitty litter did you have to charge it? Do you have it capped? 

On 4/29/2023 at 10:00 AM, Erik G said:

I've used SafeTSorb in a couple of tanks, I charged the first one with some ferts in it when I set it up, but not my current one. I haven't really noticed a difference.

Do you use a lot of fertilizer now?

On 4/29/2023 at 3:59 PM, Jabberjaw said:

So with the kitty litter did you have to charge it? Do you have it capped?

No, just straight kitty litter, getting ready to setup a 40B (Got rid of all the gravel and will only use a particular brand of kitty litter now that reminds me of gravel.)