White Growth?

Jaspyjasp

Hi Community!

Just wondering what this white growth could be? It’s not fluffy or spreading into other spots like ich, its just on ONE spot on the fin and feels “weighty”. It flops around with the tail.

Is this cauliflower virus? Is it treatable? Any insight is appreciated!

thank you!!

Jaspyjasp

677DE987-DB5C-4F29-A662-0E2B73D5DF54.jpeg

FA9D6875-0064-4005-9FC5-E8F4EA64AD30.jpeg

6AB6BA3D-BEF7-480E-B00F-719C00EB1F72.jpeg

BF49C8F8-D52D-424F-B834-8DD3A89732BD.jpeg

7A7964CF-42D2-48E4-A308-F97724AF4926.jpeg

If it’s fuzzy, then that’s fungus for sure. Otherwise, could be external bacteria infection on fin. @Colu is a good assessor and prescriber or various remedies. If you have a Quarantine tank set up, you could move the affected fish in there. Slow down on feeding, and keep water changes up. Aquarium Salt can help with external bacteria sometimes.

• Like 1

As it doesn't have a fuzzy appearance it's more than likely not a fungal infection it could be a benign growth or a fluid filled cyst what I would do is quarantine and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons I wouldn't go above that level as Cory's are sensitive to salt for 1 week @Jaspyjasp

• Love 1

On 4/17/2023 at 12:34 PM, Fish Folk said:

If it’s fuzzy, then that’s fungus for sure. Otherwise, could be external bacteria infection on fin. @Colu is a good assessor and prescriber or various remedies. If you have a Quarantine tank set up, you could move the affected fish in there. Slow down on feeding, and keep water changes up. Aquarium Salt can help with external bacteria sometimes.

Ok thank u!! 

On 4/17/2023 at 12:42 PM, Colu said:

As it doesn't have a fuzzy appearance it's more than likely not a fungal infection it could be a benign growth or a fluid filled cyst what I would do is quarantine and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons I wouldn't go above that level as Cory's are sensitive to salt for 1 week @Jaspyjasp

Thank u @Colu🙏🙏🙏 I’m doing some kanaplex just in case. I got paranoid bc i saw another cory with similar  “white” speck,  so doing kanaplex as precaution. All my extra “tanks” are used up right now so im going go observe and see for now :((  But have salt on hand for that next step in case the kanaplex does nothing.

The cory is completely fine otherwise, doing usual cory things and eating well. 🤞🤞🤞 That white growth just looks isolated to that one area on the fin.

Thank you for your advice!!! 🙏🙏🙏

Edited by Jaspyjasp

Hi @Colu Just to give an update - I think the Kanaplex has helped to shrink the white growth on the cory fin. It’s still a bit there, prob reduced by half, but much better! should I continue another round of Kanaplex? Do a salt dip? Or stop and observe for now?

Thank you for any insight! 🙏

On 4/24/2023 at 7:26 AM, Jaspyjasp said:

Hi @Colu Just to give an update - I think the Kanaplex has helped to shrink the white growth on the cory fin. It’s still a bit there, prob reduced by half, but much better! should I continue another round of Kanaplex? Do a salt dip? Or stop and observe for now?

Thank you for any insight! 🙏

What I would do is leave for next couple of days and monitor to see if it shrinks even more if it doesn't then I would do a second round of kanaplex 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @Colu - 

Is this mouthrot? Some of my corys were having barbel erosion so I moved them into a less stressful tank. The other two have  since recovered but this one looks worse :(( I haven’t noticed until now bc they would only come out in pitch dark, and kept hiding. Was finally able to catch him. i feel so terribly :((( It’s like his mouth is falling off. 

i put him in QT with kanaplex and some salt.  Ugh :(( Thank you for any insight. Everyone else is healthy and no other outbreaks.

Is this salvagable? Or should I put him down? :((( He has been eating, but now im noticing his rapid breathing. 

D312E5F5-B1BA-4CB9-9849-CD125F88F480.jpeg

ACA57FC7-9B31-4A65-8F50-5ECC17F96816.jpeg

Edited by Jaspyjasp

On 6/14/2023 at 10:42 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

Hi @Colu - 

Is this mouthrot? Some of my corys were having barbel erosion so I moved them into a less stressful tank. The other two have  since recovered but this one looks worse :(( I haven’t noticed until now bc they would only come out in pitch dark, and kept hiding. Was finally able to catch him. i feel so terribly :((( It’s like his mouth is falling off. 

i put him in QT with kanaplex and some salt.  Ugh :(( Thank you for any insight. Everyone else is healthy and no other outbreaks.

D312E5F5-B1BA-4CB9-9849-CD125F88F480.jpeg

ACA57FC7-9B31-4A65-8F50-5ECC17F96816.jpeg

Looks bacterial possibly the start of mouth  rot kanaplex and salt should do the trick 

Edited by Colu

Ah thank you!! @Colu 😭🙏 This might be dumb question…is it safe to keep him with other QT fish?  I only have one QT tank and its being occupied, but I could make a new one with a plastic tub if necessary.

Edited by Jaspyjasp

@Colu - I should explain further. The other QT fish are the same species of cory to complete the school. If this is a one off bacteria infection, i’m thinking can treat all the cory at the same time in QT as “precautionary” and be able to keep them in the same tank. But, if you think this infection is contagious, then I will keep them separated.

On 6/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, Colu said:

Looks bacterial possible mouth  kanaplex and salt should do the trick 

On 6/14/2023 at 3:20 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

Ah thank you!! @Colu 😭🙏 This might be dumb question…is it safe to keep him with other QT fish?  I only have one QT tank and its being occupied, but I could make a new one with a plastic tub if necessary.

On 6/15/2023 at 12:46 AM, Jaspyjasp said:

@Colu - I should explain further. The other QT fish are the same species of cory to complete the school. If this is a one off bacteria infection, i’m thinking can treat all the cory at the same time in QT as “precautionary” and be able to keep them in the same tank. But, if you think this infection is contagious, then I will keep them separated.

It probably started with barbel erosion with anything bacterial it's difficult to say for sure weather it will spread to your other Cory's with out noing the stain of bacteria involved I tend to be overly cautious when it come to disease you could treat them together there's always a  possibility that something might spread to your other fish 

@Colu - i think the poor thing has mouth rot :(( i just added some jungle fizz in addition to the salt and kanaplex. not sure how thinfs will go but i can see some redness now and a covering over its mouth. It looks worse than yesterday unfortunately:(( glad i moved the other cory. Here is today:

6E2F284B-88A6-4B85-9B54-DA27CD073ADC.jpeg

1FE1D59C-AF90-4D62-9FEA-1F5B101816B9.jpeg

On 6/15/2023 at 9:10 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

@Colu - i think the poor thing has mouth rot :(( i just added some jungle fizz in addition to the salt and kanaplex. not sure how thinfs will go but i can see some redness now and a covering over its mouth. It looks worse than yesterday unfortunately:(( glad i moved the other cory. Here is today:

6E2F284B-88A6-4B85-9B54-DA27CD073ADC.jpeg

1FE1D59C-AF90-4D62-9FEA-1F5B101816B9.jpeg

I can see a little bit of red near the mouth if your going to dose Jungal fungus clear fizz tabs and kanaplex use this treatment plan it's for more severe bacterial infections 

IMG_20230115_235240.jpg

Edited by Colu

Thank you @Colu!! I took a picture of that a while back and i look at it for reference. Appreciate the recipe, thank u!! 

Yeah, it looks like it turned for the worse :(( I added the jungle fizz but I had to dilute the water a bit bc it seemed like he struggling with the addition of the jungle fizz. I swapped out 1/4 of a gallon with new water and he seems more calm. I’ll add new kanaplex and jungle fizz tomorrow.

Edited by Jaspyjasp
  • Like 1

Hey @Colu - i checked on the little guy and he was passing so I put him down with some clove oil 😭 I dunno if medication or stress was too much, but he was probably on his way. His mouth was pretty much covered by the bacteria. I feel bad. 

thank you for your help. I’ll be more watchful of the other guys. Nothing on anyone else in the tank so 🤞🤞🤞Thanks for ur speedy replies, it really helped and I really appreciate it 🙏

• Sad 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:37 AM, Jaspyjasp said:

Hey @Colu - i checked on the little guy and he was passing so I put him down with some clove oil 😭 I dunno if medication or stress was too much, but he was probably on his way. His mouth was pretty much covered by the bacteria. I feel bad. 

thank you for your help. I’ll be more watchful of the other guys. Nothing on anyone else in the tank so 🤞🤞🤞Thanks for ur speedy replies, it really helped and I really appreciate it 🙏

Sorry to hear that bacterial infections can kill very quickly even with treatment theirs no guarantees at least did all you could for him 

• Thanks 1