Java Fern issues

Is the tank or the substrate relatively new? If so it could be brown diatom algae. You can either wait it out and it will go away on its own or you can add something like otos that will eat it. 

Edit: also are the rhizomes above the substrate? 

Edited by Ninjoma

On 4/3/2023 at 4:04 PM, Ninjoma said:

Is the tank or the substrate relatively new? If so it could be brown diatom algae. You can either wait it out and it will go away on its own or you can add something like otos that will eat it. 

Edit: also are the rhizomes above the substrate? 

Nothing in the tank is new. I have noticed the fish moving around the stones have covered the rhizomes. The one that is definitely not buried looks the same.

image.jpg

On 4/3/2023 at 1:14 PM, Rewcolee1 said:

Nothing in the tank is new. I have noticed the fish moving around the stones have covered the rhizomes. The one that is definitely not buried looks the same.

image.jpg

Hmm, it could be a nutrient deficiency then. This article may help you determine which kind https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/plant-nutrient-deficiencies.

What are your nitrates at?

• Thanks 1

Likely a potassium deficiency. Java ferns like a lot of potassium. Mine looked like that for a while. I started dosing API Leaf Zone which is mostly soluble potash or potassium with my east green. It took a few weeks, but they perked right up when I added the leaf zone. 

Good Luck

My similar problem with java ferns was solved by starting Flourish potassium. In addition to starting the potassium, I cut off the most damaged leaves, up to 1/3 of the total leaves, in order to allow the plants to use their energy for making new leaves rather than maintaining or repairing old damaged ones. As a side effect of adding the potassium, Java moss that had been MIA for many months resurrected itself and has also grown lush.

Before: 

IMG_0121(1).jpg.6a471b923c03f90c258336003e3917e9.jpg

After: 

IMG_2589(2).jpg.11fd0e95f8c90c8bf9f70a9280ba347f.jpgIMG_2588(2).jpg.661d9da4bd4cfe63d063125404eaacfa.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2023 at 7:30 PM, PineSong said:

My similar problem with java ferns was solved by starting Flourish potassium. In addition to starting the potassium, I cut off the most damaged leaves, up to 1/3 of the total leaves, in order to allow the plants to use their energy for making new leaves rather than maintaining or repairing old damaged ones. As a side effect of adding the potassium, Java moss that had been MIA for many months resurrected itself and has also grown lush.

Before: 

IMG_0121(1).jpg.6a471b923c03f90c258336003e3917e9.jpg

After: 

IMG_2589(2).jpg.11fd0e95f8c90c8bf9f70a9280ba347f.jpgIMG_2588(2).jpg.661d9da4bd4cfe63d063125404eaacfa.jpg

I did think about cutting off the dead or dying leaves. I’ll definitely do that now once the Potassium arrives tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Plus one on potassium suppliments. I dose a little bit twice a week, and recently started using seachem flourish instead of easy green. (my tanks are well stocked, so the nitrogen in easy green isn't necessary ) Here's an old and recent shot, tank does have CO2. 

20230327_123101.jpg

20221108_141709.jpg

Edited by Darax
Add old shot of tank.

On 4/6/2023 at 1:01 PM, Darax said:

Plus one on potassium suppliments. I dose a little bit twice a week, and recently started using seachem flourish instead of easy green. (my tanks are well stocked, so the nitrogen in easy green isn't necessary ) Here's an old and recent shot, tank does have CO2. 

20230327_123101.jpg

20221108_141709.jpg

The tank looks great. I don’t have CO2. It is very well stocked though.