Betta in 5 Gallon

FishRBeautiful

Hi, I’m new to the forums and started fishkeeping in early January. I’m wondering if anyone has advice. I have a 20 gallon with 7 checkered barbs and 3 female Platys and a female betta. I bought a 5 gallon tank last night and plan to move my betta in there. Everything is fine but it stresses me out watching her in a community tank. She’s working hard to be in charge and probably stressed about it and the Platys often hide when she wants control and they eat all her food because she eats so slow. I have to lead her to her food and hand feed her and hope she eats it before they get it. And they’re getting some of hers no matter what which I imagine is not good for them. 

Wondering if you have suggestions for tank mates for her 5 gallon. I had a really cool mystery snail that died (apparently the smallest concentration of salt possible still kills them) and my 11 year old daughter saw the Betta attack the snail sometimes so probably no snails. Thought of putting the barbs in there but not sure that would be a good idea. They only pay attention to each other and stay at the bottom but Betta does go to the bottom. And it may overstock the tank? What about a couple Otos? . Can you get just one or two shrimp? Or one kuhli loach? And should I get live plants?  I’m open to other ideas as well. Thanks for your suggestions. 

Hello there @LoveMyPlatys,

I believe you did the right thing! Ithink it is for the best for your betta to be separated from that tank. Lots of action around usually stresses betta out and opens the door for potential diseases. Also barbs are known to be nippy in general, so keeping barbs with long fin fish is not recommended.

Barbs are very active animals and needs lots of swimming space. Just as barbs, kuhli loaches are also schooling fish so it is generally the more the merrier, man-made lowest number suggested being 6 in general, to give an idea they love to be around their own friends.

In a 5 gallon, only shrimp and small snails could be considered for a a betta tank mate. He might me interested in precious antennas of mystery snails by thinking they are worms! So you may try small sized “pest” snails maybe? like 2-3 cute pink or leopard ramshorn snails can be nice if you like them! They may help with uneaten food and algae too.

Bettas are usually agressive, and they will see shrimp as a food. 5 gallon is not big in size and would allow a betta the minimum tank size available as it is. To introduce shrimp and let them be safe you need to densely plant a tank and add hiding spaces. These will all cut from the swimming space of the betta. Could be considered by taking a risk of them being eaten in a bigger sized tank with lots of plants, but in a 5g, if you introduce lots of plants, there will be no space for betta to swim.

I would personally suggest a couple ramshorns you like the color of. Also as you move your centerpiece fish betta from your main tank, you may consider something with a shortfin as a centerpiece fish there instead! 

Best of luck,

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

Hello @LoveMyPlatys, welcome to the forum!

I'm with @Lennie. IMO Really only snails would make a good companion in this tank. 5 gallons are small (but perfect for a single Betta). Snails are great clean up for the tank and fun to watch. Bettas are less likely to be jerks to them and sometimes are a source of entertainment for them). It sounds like your Betta needs a break from being "boss" which is why you're moving her anyway. Trust me, the tank will still be fun!

Let me tell you a short tale of 2 Betta. I recently rescued 4 -rehabbed them and then had to figure out where they would go! I figured all that out but the reason for the mention is that 2 of them went to 5 gallon (ish) tanks. The one I have went into a 7 gallon cube. He has a Nerite friend and they are perfect together!  (one pic of Betta sleeping with the Nerite just this week)

image000000(231).jpg.c4eff7d7e0136a70f73aaf9f5664e943.jpg

image000000(236).jpg.593cfd37febf6349ffcb1af39dc4dcee.jpg

image000000(227).jpg.52c0b2937d49597fe2e64fb67a7dae01.jpg

But like your situation my Mum took one and she put her in her small 5.5 gallon community tank with a Nerite, 2 Neons and 1 African Dwarf Frog. Well, she became an issue there, bullied the fish and the frog and over ate as well! She got moved to her own 5 gallon tank with bladder snails. It's still a beautiful and active tank because of her, she's happier, the other tank is much happier and my Mum isn't stressed about it anymore either! (And you won't be!)

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

That makes sense. Thanks! I would have gotten the 10 gallon but my husband would probably kill me. LOL So maybe I’ll try some other types of snails then. 
What are your thoughts on the ghost shrimp? I heard they can attack bettas? Would bettas attack them? Or is a 5 gallon too small for them with a Betta?

Here’s Geppetto in the 5.5 gallon. I made a pvc pipe swimthru for him. I used fishing line to hang it up top and just taped that to the rim. He LOVES IT. The rocks are actually swim thrus.

When I first set up this tank he seemed bored or restless for awhile. Initially I had a lot more hardscape in there but once I took it out he seemed happier. And happier still every time I added plants. He enjoys swimming through the plants.

I dropped his water line a little this week because I added some floating plants to see how they do.

95AFDC6D-F252-4B21-92C5-C1A82A48A019.jpeg

E20CA97A-7495-4A96-8EDD-AECDFDEC0877.jpeg

A5BDFD85-F776-43F5-AB0B-37A51A61CC48.jpeg

He was ok with a nerite for awhile but after a few months he began to bully him so I removed the nerite. I do interact with him and get him to follow things or swim through his tunnel and I give him a small treat.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

This is what the tank used to look like. He was pacing a lot with those big rocks in there. He really wanted more swimming room. He loves to swim through plants but hates hardscape blocking his way.

177DBCBF-04EF-4AE7-A1D5-6CC659418C59.jpeg

I would suggest two or three large plants (Java fern, sword, crypt, etc) for the betta to swim through. But we do know every betta personality is different. This is just what worked for him.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:29 PM, LoveMyPlatys said:

What are your thoughts on the ghost shrimp? I heard they can attack bettas? Would bettas attack them? Or is a 5 gallon too small for them with a Betta?

Depends on the shrimp and the betta... My super-aggressive spade-tail male lives in a heavily planted 5g with lots of ghost shrimp (and various pest snails) and they are all cohabiting just fine. Never seen the shrimp attacking the fish or vice versa. The shrimp were the first in the tank though and they had a lot of time to make it their home and multiply like crazy before the betta was introduced. 

• Like 1

Ok, thanks! That’s helpful to hear about experiences. I imagine I’ll have some trial and error and do one thing at a time.  This is her. I’m guessing she’s a half moon but they don’t sell female bettas by breed at my pet store. They sell them from a tank instead of a cup. 

7614DB69-0785-42B9-B9EC-FE0C81731131.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 4/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, LoveMyPlatys said:

Ok, thanks! That’s helpful to hear about experiences. I imagine I’ll have some trial and error and do one thing at a time.  This is her. I’m guessing she’s a half moon but they don’t sell female bettas by breed at my pet store. They sell them from a tank instead of a cup. 

7614DB69-0785-42B9-B9EC-FE0C81731131.jpeg

Very pretty, female bettas are underrated:)

• Like 3
  • Love 1