The #1 Secret to Successful Fishkeeping.... (seriously)

nabokovfan87

.....alright, buckle in, it's been an afternoon!

It' been a few weeks and so I decided to test basically every tank to compare everything and to just do a sanity check.  I have one tank that's newly setup and I want to see how the cycle is going.  I have a shrimp tank with potential GH issues that I need to verify.  I have a QT tank that just had meds in it.  Finally, I have my display tank with the black corydoras.

Yesterday was maintenance on the shrimp which I've missed, so I wanted to go ahead and verify I needed to do maintenance today (given bioload, I could give it a week).

I got my sheet of note paper, wrote out a chart and started doing all of my tests.
A.  Shrimp tank is awesome and the GH level is perfectly fine.
B.  My thermometer is broken (dropped it two days ago)
C.  I found a nitrite spike and needed to change water again to resolve it.
----> Tank in question was the QT tank, which should've had a 0 and prime should've still been neutralizing it.  I just did a water change yesterday to remove meds, went ahead and did another one today.

.....so, what's the tale here?

Yesterday I was doing my normal thing, I just happened to forget entirely that it was Wednesday, shrimp tank day.   The QT tank needed cleaning and it was time to remove the meds.  I just went about my normal maintenance for that tank and siphoned the sand.  Trying to clean the back of the tank behind the pleco cave and one of the fry went into the bucket.  I rescued the fish out and she went back into the tank with the rest of her fishy friends. 

Then I got a paper towel and was trying to clean off the glass.  For whatever reason at this point all of the fish in the tank were extremely stressed out and trying to "swim through" the glass.  Trying to basically swim through my hand, into the side of the tank to get out of the way of my hand slowly scrubbing the algae off the side of the tank.

Now I know why.... Nitrite was off the chart high for me.  I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw nitrite on a test, but now I know.  The tank in question is intended to be plants only, one fish stocking with very low bioload.  It's been going fine for quite a while until discovering this result just today because I forced myself to go out and test every tank.  Even the one I just did maintenance on and everything would've been "fine".

I really do appreciate the context, the message, an the advice of the video posted above.  I implore you, go test all your tanks and let us know what you find.

Black Cory Tank (29G):
Temp: 70.3 (probably higher)
PH: 6.8
GH: 200
KH: 60
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Shrimp (29G):
Temp: 73
PH: 6.8-7.0
GH: 80
KH: 80
Nitrate: 10

QT Tank (10G):
Temp: 72
PH: 7
GH: 150
KH: 50
Nitrite: 10
Nitrate: 5
Ammonia: 0

75G (Cycling):
Temp: 72
PH: 6.5
GH: 100
KH: 40
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0

• Like 4

Thank you @nabokovfan87.  Back to basics. I got lazy with it.  I was like a mad scientist every day, usually twice a day (!) when I was raising the baby snails, with my API vials.  A lot of little lives depended on me, and especially when they were moved into the 10 gallon and were growing fast!  I had some spikes but since I was on top of testing, everybody was ok w/ the help of water changes (2x/day!) and Prime, and they were adopted out succesfully.   Each adoption, usually 10 snails at a time, was like a sigh of relief because I knew parameters would become more stable.  And yet sad, because I had less cute snails. But the testing - I was enjoying it.  Wake up, grab a cup of coffee, run the tests, sip on it while I wait on results, watch the tanks, etc. But then, ya know, life happens, not home as much, stressful things (taking exams), etc.  I use strips almost exclusively now (ACO or Tetra), unless I think there's a problem and I need to verify it.  I will verify it with a second, liquid test.  I'd say I test once a week.  Things are coasting, no parameters change except nitrate, but the change is so slight it's kinda like, eh, whatev.  I had also been writing everything down, but since I haven't had much variation, I would just be writing the same parameters over & over or the word "same", so I skip it.  Now if I add things, I will write that in my cop notebook - added [type of plant] on [date], added [type of critter] on [date], and I do document when I put in root tabs, so I know I'm not adding those too often or too infrequently, as I do have swords and the aponogetons have gotten huge and are getting hungrier.

Still doing weekly water changes on everything.  QT tank has been sitting there empty (no fish) with dissolving catappa leaves because that's what my last patient required. I do need to sanitize and dry that out.  That could be my project this weekend.

I think I will dedicate a specific day of the week just for water tests, to keep myself accountable.  I will choose the day before water changes, so I can get the real picture of how things look after sitting for a week (mainly, how high does nitrate actually get up to the point of water change?).  This is what I've been trying to do, but having a set day to do it would be better/more consistent.  Up to this point, when I test it the day before water changes, it's been at like 20, which is good with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 3:01 AM, Cinnebuns said:

@Cory's hair looks great in this video. Funny comment but there it is haha. 

The beard! I love beards, though. My husband has one. And I encourage it with all my guy friends. 10/10. 

I implore you, go test all your tanks and let us know what you find.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:19 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Okay

5G - Shrimp and a survivor Endler

PH 7.6

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5ppm

GH 6

KH 4

36 G- Community Tank

PH 7.4 and Stable!!!

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5ppm

GH 6

KH 4

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:58 AM, Miska said:

The beard! I love beards, though. My husband has one. And I encourage it with all my guy friends. 10/10. 

Okay

5G - Shrimp and a survivor Endler

PH 7.6

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5ppm

GH 6

KH 4

36 G- Community Tank

PH 7.4 and Stable!!!

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5ppm

GH 6

KH 4

Cory said don't forget the temp!  😉 

• Thanks 1

Alright my turn.

29g

amm 0

nitrate 50*

nitrite 0

gH 150

kH 180

pH 7.2

temp 77.7

10g (shrimp)

amm 0

nitrate 10

nitrite 0

gH 150

kH 180

pH 7.2

temp 76 per mercury thermometer, 75 per ACO digital heater 

5.5g (betta)

amm 0

nitrate 10

nitrite 0

gH 150

kH 180

pH 7.2

temp 80

Walstad Jar (shrimp)

amm 0

nitrate 10

nitrite 0

gH 150

kH 180

pH 7.2

temp 73.2

Now it is time to call myself out. Right here:

On 3/24/2023 at 10:05 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Things are coasting

Yeah. Shut up Chick! You have high nitrates!

*per strip. Liquid test confirmed between 40-80, always hard to read that orange card. Water change performed.

Thankful for this thread. 😌

83466B06-1F09-40EE-9DAC-7F940B5DCB5C.jpeg

Note for anyone who noticed on the ink bird. Temp rose slightly after water change

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Format: ammonia/nitrite/nitrate

Just for the record, I recognize this for what it is.  A drive for us to use more test strips.  And I didn't even cut these in half.  You're welcome, Cory. 🤣

75 gallon discus

0/0/0 pH 8.2 KH 15 GH 22

37 gallon community

0/0/10 pH 8.2 KH 15 GH 22 dosed EZ Green

46 gallon bowfront

0/0/5 pH 8.2 KH 15 GH 22

10 gallon QT current CPD fry/eggs in breeder boxes

0/0/0 pH 8.2 KH 15 GH 22

10 gallon CPDs

0/0/25 pH 8.2 KH 15 GH 22

29 gallon apisto pair

0/0/0 pH 7.2 KH 4 GH 3

55 gallon two apisto pairs, divided

0/0/5 pH 7.2 KH 4 GH 3

Apistos are getting water changes this afternoon and will dose a little EZ Green and root tabs at that point.  Nitrates are a huge struggle for me to keep in my tanks.  Not complaining, though. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 7:36 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:
On 3/25/2023 at 7:04 AM, jwcarlson said:

Just for the record, I recognize this for what it is.  A drive for us to use more test strips.  And I didn't even cut these in half.  You're welcome, Cory. 🤣

🤣

I definitely don't cut mine. Too hard to read for me as is and I genuinely don't trust myself to keep them dry to use the ~400 tests if I sat there and cut all the strips. 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 12:40 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hey, so I added maybe 5 sprigs of hornwort and my nitrates dropped by 10 in just a few days (4 days). The hornwort just floats around at the surface.

After a couple water changes I was at 20, and the hornwort brought me to 10.

Hornwort and Elodea are great assistance especially in overstocked tanks! I love having one or another in my tanks. Also combats algae very well

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Well I  guess I fail at fish keeping then, cause I don't test my water, never have 
why ? you ask, well cause what fish I have is all doing well so why worth about it ?
yea I hear you saying this that & everything in between, but if it's not broke why 
worry about it ? fish are not acting funny, their eating & swimming fine.

I have a temp stick on gage on both my aquariums & check them daily.
I don't have a tank load of fish that will muck up the water that much. 
I feed once sometimes twice a day to keep them happy & content. 
I do a water top off once a week & water change every other week.

I don't worry about breeding my fish cause I don't have the space for it 
I enjoy my fish more than worry about them, when you have to worry
about everything there is about them then what's the point in having 
fish ? I understand those who breed for profit & why they do it, but for 
those that just want to enjoy them & watch them swim about the tank.

I appreciate those who take pride in what they do for breeding fish 
to sell, I appreciate the hard work they deal with in keeping fish healthy 
I watch a lot of videos of people talk about what it takes to raise fish 
That's 1 reason why I don't have a lot of tanks it would drive me crazy 
plus I have enough to worry about as it is with 6 dogs & a husband.

But I do want to say to all those who breed fish for profit don't stress 
over what mother nature does for every living creature on earth, she 
knows best way B-4 you do, just enjoy life everyday the best you can.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:39 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

don't stress 
over what mother nature does for every living creature on earth, she 
knows best way B-4 you do, just enjoy life everyday the best you can

This topic has been brought up in some of the Aquarium Co Op videos.  Fish tanks are different from nature in that they are a much smaller, controlled environment.  In the wild, fish have large bodies of water, and that works to their advantage in diluting things that are harmful to them, such as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.  

One video I watched the other day explained that high nitrates for fish are the equivalent of a human being stuck in a smoke-filled room for a long period of time.  Over that time if conditions do not improve, health will deteriorate. I like to test my water to ensure that the pets I have adopted and taken responsibility to care for are comfortable.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 8:23 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

This topic has been brought up in some of the Aquarium Co Op videos.  Fish tanks are different from nature in that they are a much smaller, controlled environment.  In the wild, fish have large bodies of water, and that works to their advantage in diluting things that are harmful to them, such as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.  

One video I watched the other day explained that high nitrates for fish are the equivalent of a human being stuck in a smoke-filled room for a long period of time.  Over that time if conditions do not improve, health will deteriorate. I like to test my water to ensure that the pets I have adopted and taken responsibility to care for are comfortable.

I can understand how everyone is different in their ways of doing things 
I don't fault fish keepers for doing what they do to keep fish happy &
healthy, I don't mean to offend anyone on how or what they do in life.

This thread has inspired me to test my tanks later today. I had surgery last Friday that prevents me from picking up more than 2lbs per hand for a couple of weeks. I did water changes before surgery but I'm curious to see how the tanks are doing. Something I can do under 2lbs. If I have to I'll have my carer drag the buckets over to the tank in need and I'll siphon then they can drag the buckets out to dump them on the garden beds. I go through waves of over feeding and under feeding so we'll find out what phase I'm in now. Plus it will pass the time while I'm healing. 

Edited by Birdsnstuff
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 5:50 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

I don't mean to offend anyone on how or what they do in life.

Not at all.

The original post game from a place of exactly where I thought everything was perfectly fine. Even in the video Cory had tested and thought everything was fine! Then he tested temperature.

I had a nitrite spike despite no issues whatsoever in the tank and this was a random testing moment that led to discovery of an issue.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:24 AM, Birdsnstuff said:

Plus it will pass the time while I'm healing. 

Feel better!

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/23/2023 at 6:19 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

C.  I found a nitrite spike and needed to change water again to resolve it.

It took about a week and some change to get things sorted out.

I had sand, sponge filter, and pleco caves in the tank as a place for the fish to swim around and get some cover. They did use them, but it wasn't enough in terms of supporting enough bacteria for the cycle.  Maybe it's just a matter of time or the sponge filter isn't big enough for the load.

Either way, I removed most of the caves, left one, and then I went ahead and added some medium size lava rocks.

Took a long time to get a decent photo. There was 3 lights on and this was basically the best I could do.

20230407_192641.JPG.27b4b7c67a4ba51d3bc32d8deee86341.JPG

20230407_192701.JPG.9ed417788527626bee04d538ff6c8783.JPG

On 4/6/2023 at 8:23 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I watched that 1, do you watch LRB'S videos ? 
he talks about the same thing but with NO
filtration in any of his tanks & breeds fish 
with how he sets them up he's live on Fridays.

Friday Night Live Q&A Keeping Fish Shrimp and Plants