Hullo, very new to the hobby

Harpy

Hi everyone! I'm super duper new to this hobby, and I have a 3L tank that's home to a nerite snail named Bob! She used to share the tank with four Ghost Shrimp but they have unfortunately passed. I've been loving learning more about the critters and plants in my tank, but I could definitely use advice taking care of them. I'd really love to get a bigger tank with some fish someday! And if anyone has any tips about tankmates for Bob please do share.

❤️

336623470_1242296716361037_6765128171730805729_n.jpg

Bob The Snail.jpeg

• Love 2

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!! 

That's a small but lovely tank you have. Honestly not big enough for much but a nice way to start and figure out how this all works. My nephew keeps a snail only tank. Bob is great to be on his own or maybe one other but then you'd definitely have to supplement food which is hard for nerites as they take a while to accept commercial foods or veggies but I'd start trying now and see what Bob likes to eat! 

You could try shrimp again but they do require a very well established tank. How long has your tank been running?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:41 PM, Theplatymaster said:

@Harpy

welcome to our forum!

plenty of nerite keepers on here (myself included).

what are you feeding Bob? i know mine wont eat prepared foods, and ive heard that from many other people.

Hopefully we can help you upgrade your tank and get some fish, in this size tank i dont recommend any more tank mates,

Hi! Bob is definitely a bit picky, but he likes spirulina tabs! I'm trying to get him to eat kale but i'm unsuccessful so far lol.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 10:03 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!! 

That's a small but lovely tank you have. Honestly not big enough for much but a nice way to start and figure out how this all works. My nephew keeps a snail only tank. Bob is great to be on his own or maybe one other but then you'd definitely have to supplement food which is hard for nerites as they take a while to accept commercial foods or veggies but I'd start trying now and see what Bob likes to eat! 

You could try shrimp again but they do require a very well established tank. How long has your tank been running?

Hi, thank you so much! I have been trying to get Bob to eat a lil more, but he's usually a fan of spirulina tabs! He has also munched on cucumber slices before. The tank has been running almost two months, but after the shrimp died I got really worried about the water quality and I started the tank cycle over with lots of new bacteria.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Harpy I've made the same "mistake" with ghost shrimp myself. My tank when I tried them was also pretty new. When I say well established you might need the tank up and running 6 months or more to be really successful (IMO). 2months is a baby tank. But you know what, Nerites are super forgiving of a lot of things and are great little pets, bonus, they keep the tank pretty darn clean! So while you're waiting you have a lovely little snail companion. I'm very glad you've gotten Bob to eat!! That's great!

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 10:30 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Harpy I've made the same "mistake" with ghost shrimp myself. My tank when I tried them was also pretty new. When I say well established you might need the tank up and running 6 months or more to be really successful (IMO). 2months is a baby tank. But you know what, Nerites are super forgiving of a lot of things and are great little pets, bonus, they keep the tank pretty darn clean! So while you're waiting you have a lovely little snail companion. I'm very glad you've gotten Bob to eat!! That's great!

Oh this makes me feel a lot better! Thank you for sharing that.

• Like 1

Welcome.  You might try a few neocaridina shrimp (red cherry shrimp, or other color varieties).  While your tank is pretty small, they might be worth a try.  They're considerably smaller than ghost shrimp, and quite a bit more expensive, but they are often healthier also.

I would wait until the tank has been running for at least 3 months though, and you will need to keep a close eye on water parameters.

• Like 1

I also recommend possibly neocardina. You can sometimes get them cheaper if you get folks culls from aqua swap on reddit, your local fb groups (there are often give away groups, there is one for maryland), as well as fish swaps (where I am going this weekend!!!). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1