Documenting my tanks progression, plants and fish updates

Cmike15

The smaller is my 10 gallon with neon tetras and one blue mystery snail. The larger is 29 gallons:2 white cloud minnows, 4-5 Cardinal tetras, 2 blue mystery snails.

I was super busy at work and getting stressed. so, i topped up my tanks and only did water changes if the test kit showed I needed it. I have plans to keep up with it and divide the plants when they start to multiply like i've done in the past. Documenting some of it will help me keep an eye on the progression. i have a small notebook and a folder on my computer for the pictures so that should help with motivation. 

Any tips are welcome. I am slightly worried about the mystery snails being too prolific since my fish are probably too small to snack on the small ones. I had nerites a few years ago so this is my first time with mystery snails. 

I might sell some of the more colorful ones and my local pet shop guy said if I can get them to the size i bought them he'll take a few every now and then. Ebay is an option but i'd prefer to just control it to a manageable level. 

"edit" I'd actually be very excited for more snails but reading online lists off people with problems with too many but i'd be happy to have more. I have crushed coral in my hang on backs. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Cmike15
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the plant in the left in a pot, is it an Amazon sword? I forget but I think it was. I gave it a root tab. 

A small update, my plants stopped melting. I’ve checked the parameters and did another water change adding more easy green

The main change is this bigger tank, 29 is my quarantine for cardinals, 4 female guppies, and 4 white clouds. I moved the extra white clouds I had before to my other tank for at least a month. 6 weeks probably to be sure the 29 gallons fish are healthy. 

I purchased more tanks and I’m going to start extra sponge filters for summer and the tanks for breeding projects. 

I’m planning on having summer fish projects so I’ll post again when I have more floating plants to grow out.

My lights, the Fluval was on a smart plug. Now I plugged it into a normal one since I think it lost its programming when it shut off. It took me a while to realize since it still turned on just not as bright. 

I welcome any pointers but this helps me organize my thinking. 

A006DD7A-4B7E-4524-815B-1656F1F7DB11.jpeg

I think the Amazon sword is starting to grow some, it definitely stopped melting which is good. I’m checking my parameters and my ph is always below 7 so I added some crushed oyster shell to my HOB. just a bit and the mystery snails are zooming around all day rather than just at night which seems good. 

This tank is currently my quarantine tank and probably where the fish will stay at least for a while. If there were any signs of illness I have a 10 I was going to use but they have all been eating happily since day one. 

I’ll take a better picture soon, the rummy nose tetra’s really enjoy swimming all around now running close when they see me. 

9B375AA1-3513-43A1-A40A-E35126D7962E.jpeg

DEE625DB-9F32-45F4-9FBE-D5EA1FDEF560.jpeg

094326BA-8214-4169-BA22-95CEC16833E6.jpeg

Edited by Cmike15
Add newer photo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Adding on I have dragon blood cichlids now, and Congo cichlids. 

I have a crushed oyster shell substrate and adding in sand that I recently just got in. I wanted to have the right one, I found filtered pool sand that cleaned up rather quickly. 

BFE5089F-BA67-4A15-A730-1D024BEB8F58.jpeg

A70DE863-B4C2-422C-8ADD-FCA917DAFD6B.jpeg

The Congo cichlid is called Pseudocrenliabrus Pyrrhocaudalis. 3” adult size and mouth brooders. I’m going to work on keeping the water parameters stable, they are tank raised and between 6.8-7.4 I was told. (7.2) I’ll check periodically if the shells need to be replenished since my water is a bit lower ph. 

I’ve seen a few spellings for it but it seems to hold true that they mainly get along I’ll just need more line of site breaks. 

They do well with plants like the apistogramma except maybe some digging. 

Edited by Cmike15
Adding scientific name plus info on the fish
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of my dragon guppy females, one of the most colorful famales i've had.

Surpise guppy babies! The plants seemed to help the babies hide.  i ordered a breeder that separates the fry i'll use if the fry numbers seem too low. There are many more hiding in the plants. I'm thinking i'll summer tub with these. Still a bit early but getting closer. 

I'll try to get good pictures as the fry color up and separating once i can tell them apart is the plan. 

• 2 months later...