Is this Ich?

Tropicalfishkeeping201

Hello fish keepers!

I was treating this tank for camallanus worms and I have already done 4 doses and haven't seen the worms anymore but was aiming to go for 6 to be sure they don't have any more but now I'm going to have to stop and treat this issue and give them a break from meds. This morning I was looking into my 30 gallon tank and I noticed one of red platy has what I think could be Ick but wanted to ask you guys to confirm if this is Ick. She is the only one that has it so far. She didn't have this yesterday. 

If this is Ich, how should I treat it?

Will the medications for Ich kill beneficial bacteria?

I have some adult and young platys, some young mollys, 1 Bolivian Ram, and 1 dwarf flag Cichlid (Laetacara curviceps). I also have 5 small Anubias plants.  

I was treating this tank for camallanus worms and I have already done 4 doses but was aiming to go for 6 to be sure they don't have any more of these worms but I'm going to have to stop and treat this issue and give them a break from meds. 

@Colu Is this Ich? 

Thank you in advance. 

Red platy.jpg

Red platy 1.jpg

Edited by Tropicalfishkeeping201

On 3/17/2023 at 4:20 PM, Tropicalfishkeeping201 said:

Hello fish keepers!

I was treating this tank for camallanus worms and I have already done 4 doses and haven't seen the worms anymore but was aiming to go for 6 to be sure they don't have any more but now I'm going to have to stop and treat this issue and give them a break from meds. This morning I was looking into my 30 gallon tank and I noticed one of red platy has what I think could be Ick but wanted to ask you guys to confirm if this is Ick. She is the only one that has it so far. She didn't have this yesterday. 

If this is Ich, how should I treat it?

Will the medications for Ich kill beneficial bacteria?

I have some adult and young platys, some young mollys, 1 Bolivian Ram, and 1 dwarf flag Cichlid (Laetacara curviceps). I also have 5 small Anubias plants.  

I was treating this tank for camallanus worms and I have already done 4 doses but was aiming to go for 6 to be sure they don't have any more of these worms but I'm going to have to stop and treat this issue and give them a break from meds. 

@Colu Is this Ich? 

Thank you in advance. 

Red platy.jpg

Red platy 1.jpg

It's looks like some of the spots are raised that could just be because of picture if there flat your dealings with ich if there raise you could be dealing with epistylis he's how you tell the two apart 

IMG_20230125_225944.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 9:41 PM, Colu said:

Epistylis feeds off the gram negative bacteria on your fish this causes secondary bacterial infections that what usually kills your fish the most effective treatment is maracyn2 in food and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons @Tropicalfishkeeping201

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

Thank you, I have 1 bolivian ram and 1 dwarf flag cichlid, can they tolerate salt?

Do I have to treat the whole tank if its Epistylis or can I just treat the sick fish in a separate tank? 

On 3/18/2023 at 2:21 AM, Matt B said:

So,  am I understanding this correctly?  Maracyn 2 is an effective treatment for Epistylus? Can it simply be  just added to the tank?  🤔

It's better added to food if they won't eat then I would dose the tank

On 3/18/2023 at 1:43 AM, Tropicalfishkeeping201 said:

Thank you, I have 1 bolivian ram and 1 dwarf flag cichlid, can they tolerate salt?

Do I have to treat the whole tank if its Epistylis or can I just treat the sick fish in a separate tank? 

I would treat them all with the medicated food and salt 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1