Any D&D players?

A3M0N

My 14 y/o son is interested in playing Dungeons and Dragons, I've never gotten into it but would like to try it out. We got a $20 starter kit from Target the other day, I'm still reading the rule book. Whew! And it's only for level 1-3 characters. 

Anyway, he was invited by friends to play but I figured it would be best for us to learn together before he starts playing with friends. I catch onto things pretty quickly, but the starter campaign says it works best with a party of at least 4. Is it possible for me to learn while serving as DM and playing a very simple character to help him out? Or do single party campaigns exist? 

Thanks! 

Single party campaigns do exist! I just saw something recently but you can also do it the way you desire!

my 11 and 3.5 yr old and me and 3 other family members are starting a campaign soon!

id love to hear what you have planned. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We all gotta start somewhere, be it a DM or a player, so if you wanna play a character while DMing, I don't see the harm in it since you're starting out.  Just bear in mind, when you are the DM, you don't just get to play 1 character.  The random townspeople, shopkeepers, enemies, that's all you baby!  You get to be ALL the characters!

I've never tried a single player game, but there's gotta be some you can find online.  The beautiful thing about D&D is that people can play around with the rules and come up with all kinds of crazy stuff to make fun games!  People have made campaigns and one-shots (where you do the entire adventure in 1 sitting rather than dragging it out over several games) and shared them online for people to try.

There's a bunch of Youtubers that make D&D content just focusing on understanding the rules, classes, etc.  XP to Level 3, Dungeon Dudes, DnD Shorts, Davvy Chappy, the list goes on!

• Like 1

I would like to!  I think games like gloomhaven and LOTR: Journeys in middle earth are (or have) done a great job of making that style of game pretty easy to play.

Some of my friends did a show with a DM and basically tried to learn how to play the game over a few episodes. Really fun stuff and it was incredibly enjoyable content.

http://www.ingamechat.net/2018/03/season-12-episode-09/

• Like 1

My husband is a DM and we have both been playing D&D since we were teenagers. It’s true that as a DM you play all the characters and all the monsters. My husband takes DM’ing further by writing the story, building the maps, and planning what loot is found, particularly magical loot that will do things based on how the player(s) try to use it. D&D has quite the learning curve, but it has practically no limits. Whatever someone wants to do, they do it, they just have to roll to see the outcome.

• Like 2

Thanks y'all! Let me give you a little backstory here, not a life story, just a little info. 

I grew up in the 80's and my cousin was a huge D&D player, still is actually. But he did have some mental health challenges, like psychosis features, and D&D became his reality. My aunt advocated strongly against the game, so my mom was always very wary of it. I did play plenty of fantasy video game RPGs, but they weren't "D&D", so they were fine 🤷‍♂️

Ok, so fast forward to today. I have ADHD, so does my son and he's high functioning autistic. So, my wanting to learn to play and DM has two parts:

1) My son has this thing where if he doesn't do something new perfect the first time it must mean he's terrible at it and will never try again. I think he would love a game like D&D, so I don't want him to miss out on the opportunity, so I want to learn with him slowly, so he won't give up. 

2) I'm in graduate school for counseling/therapy and taking a group counseling class this semester. I saw a D&D based game called Critical Core, but it's therapeutic in nature meant to help neurodivergent people learn to interact with others and work together. My project for class is to propose a group, so mine is going to be an hour and a half session every other week. The first 30min will be group counseling, using like a DBT workbook or similar, then an hour of gaming together. I don't know exactly how the game system is setup, but I figure if the group meets twice a month then a six month group session would be six meetings. So a planned six session campaign would be great. 

There is a gaming store/space near our house, so when I finish with the degree I plan to take all my work from this semester and make it happen. 

• Love 1

On 3/23/2023 at 3:50 PM, A3M0N said:

Thanks y'all! Let me give you a little backstory here, not a life story, just a little info. 

I grew up in the 80's and my cousin was a huge D&D player, still is actually. But he did have some mental health challenges, like psychosis features, and D&D became his reality. My aunt advocated strongly against the game, so my mom was always very wary of it. I did play plenty of fantasy video game RPGs, but they weren't "D&D", so they were fine 🤷‍♂️

Ok, so fast forward to today. I have ADHD, so does my son and he's high functioning autistic. So, my wanting to learn to play and DM has two parts:

1) My son has this thing where if he doesn't do something new perfect the first time it must mean he's terrible at it and will never try again. I think he would love a game like D&D, so I don't want him to miss out on the opportunity, so I want to learn with him slowly, so he won't give up. 

2) I'm in graduate school for counseling/therapy and taking a group counseling class this semester. I saw a D&D based game called Critical Core, but it's therapeutic in nature meant to help neurodivergent people learn to interact with others and work together. My project for class is to propose a group, so mine is going to be an hour and a half session every other week. The first 30min will be group counseling, using like a DBT workbook or similar, then an hour of gaming together. I don't know exactly how the game system is setup, but I figure if the group meets twice a month then a six month group session would be six meetings. So a planned six session campaign would be great. 

There is a gaming store/space near our house, so when I finish with the degree I plan to take all my work from this semester and make it happen. 

That’s great. And there’s no substitute for face to face interaction. Even better you’re  doing this at a gaming space. It gives you the opportunity to hear what’s going on at the tables nearby and it can spark creativity in your campaign.  Plus the game gives your group an incentive to come to the counseling, rather than view it as a chore.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update if anyone is interested. I presented my project last week and got full points on it. I interviewed the gaming space/shop owner for the project, he was really into the idea and told me when I'm ready he'll only charge half price per hour if I want to use their space for my group. 

I've been watching videos and just playing around, like rolling dice for mock battles with a random premade character and low power monsters just to get the feeling of how it all works. My brain still can't figure out how these kinds of games can be played "theater of the mind", so I'm thinking at least a grid map would be best for me. I'm not too interested in spending a ton of money on minis, but paper or token minis will be good. Maybe it's my ADHD brain that needs visual stimulation, I dunno. But I'm thinking my son and I will start with little fights like I've been doing, then get into the starter campaign soon. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:37 PM, A3M0N said:

a grid map would be best

Yep, you’ll definitely want a grid map. It makes it more immersive for the players, but also helps with logistics. Each spell or, say, arrow from a bow has a range. Each character has to take their movement speed into account after initiative is rolled. Plus flanking bonus, touch attacks, buffs, etc. We use the vinyl roll up map with WET-erase markers. One side has squares which is great if the players are in a building. The other side has hex which we use for areas like caves or forests.

I can send you some minis to get you going. We have A TON. We even have a spare vinyl map, I believe. One side we used the wrong type of marker on and it didn’t come off. LOL! But the other side is good. You’ll also want to have a dungeon master’s “screen” - something to hide your area of the table so players can’t see the secrets of the campaign you’re unfolding. (You can use 2 binders instead of buying a screen.)

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 12:57 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I can send you some minis to get you going. We have A TON.

While I super appreciate the offer, I don't think minis are the way I'll be going right now. I'm thinking some kind of tokens is the direction I'll go in, especially if I do eventually run the therapy group. I want everything to be affordable and quickly expandable. 

However, even though I don't plan to use mini and such, I have fallen down a rabbit hole of watching YouTube videos of DIY terrain. Some pretty wild setups out there! Dungeon tiles look like a good investment of time, and some modular walls. All in the future though, if my son and I like playing, and the group gets going. I'll probably keep watching these videos though! 

On 4/19/2023 at 5:32 PM, A3M0N said:

While I super appreciate the offer, I don't think minis are the way I'll be going right now. I'm thinking some kind of tokens is the direction I'll go in, especially if I do eventually run the therapy group. I want everything to be affordable and quickly expandable. 

However, even though I don't plan to use mini and such, I have fallen down a rabbit hole of watching YouTube videos of DIY terrain. Some pretty wild setups out there! Dungeon tiles look like a good investment of time, and some modular walls. All in the future though, if my son and I like playing, and the group gets going. I'll probably keep watching these videos though! 

You could even use nickels but just tape a picture on them.

Check this one out @A3M0N

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 5:50 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Check this one out

Wow that's awesome! I've been watching a bunch of these videos:  https://www.youtube.com/@BlackMagicCraftOfficial

For tokens I've seen some pretty easy ones like gluing a picture onto a 1in washer, then using a clear sticker over that, like for bottle cap crafts. My semester is almost over, I should be working on a project right now actually, so hopefully my son and I can play a few fights just to get started. Something easy like a kobold or two. Gotta read how to play multiple monsters as the DM though. 

Edited by A3M0N
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 10:03 PM, A3M0N said:

Gotta read how to play multiple monsters as the DM though

They all go on the same turn but each has their own roll to hit; if hit successful, then roll damage.  Have a pen & pad handy to record where they are at with their hitpoints.  Helpful to have a token to mark the spot where they die - or just write a red X on your map.  The players may want to go back and loot the body after the fight.  Moving through the space with the dead body during combat is likely to require a double movement due to the obstacle.

Honestly, you're casual playing and it's up to you how granular you want to get with the rules.  

Start simply, is my recommendation.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:03 PM, A3M0N said:

using a clear sticker over that

Or you can use Mod Podge.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On the off-chance someone knows of a remote game looking for another player, I'm interested. West Coast USA time, but open to other timezones. My current Strahd campaign is on hold indefinitely. I'm not a super experienced player, only been playing off and on for about 4-5 years, but I like groups that are centered around role playing (shocking, I know) and getting to know other characters over battle-heavy campaigns. Not opposed to a bunch of combat, but I find more joy in the creativity of my fellow players and what they came up with for their characters.

Edited by Maximus

I made a $0 grid map! It's an old poster frame my daughter wasn't using anymore and some wrapping paper, in the bin where almost used up rolls goes to die, that has a 1in grid on the back. I just cut the wrapping paper to size and used a little glue stick to keep it down, cleaned the plastic really well, and tried it out with a dry erase marker. BTW, you can get a ton of good stuff at the dollar store. Dollar Tree around these parts. 

IMG20230425145034.jpg.a8503f66f80d089438593219dcc68d6a.jpg

On 4/25/2023 at 4:10 PM, A3M0N said:

I made a $0 grid map! It's an old poster frame my daughter wasn't using anymore and some wrapping paper, in the bin where almost used up rolls goes to die, that has a 1in grid on the back. I just cut the wrapping paper to size and used a little glue stick to keep it down, cleaned the plastic really well, and tried it out with a dry erase marker. BTW, you can get a ton of good stuff at the dollar store. Dollar Tree around these parts. 

IMG20230425145034.jpg.a8503f66f80d089438593219dcc68d6a.jpg

Clever!

• Like 1

I feel like I've posted more in this thread recently than my aquarium journal. BUT don't you worry! I have a big one coming soon. 

My son and I played our first DnD game today. He played a fighter he created, I DMed and played an NPC sidekick for him. I made up a little story, drew a road and some other features on the map, fought some little monsters, then some regular monsters, and we encountered a strangely friendly orc. We had a great time. He asked to play some more, but I had to get to work. When I told him we had played for an hour he was surprised, he said it felt like only 5 minutes. 

Next, we'll get going on the starter campaign that came with the starter set. I'll probably create a full character to play as his sidekick/NPC though, instead of an NPC from the monster rules. Maybe add a friendly kobold guide to the party as that's kind of what the campaign revolves around. 

Oh, and if anyone is interested, at Dollar General I found a box of dice that had 3 sets for $4. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

OK, I really won't make a post about every game we play, but... My son asked for a dungeon for our 2nd game, so I used some advice here and there, mostly the 5 room dungeon formula. Used some cultists, kobolds, zombies, 2 traps, and a "necromancer" (basically an acolyte with a bit higher AC and HP) for simple story. It was pretty funny to see his face when he killed a zombie only for it to use undead fortitude and stay at 1 HP. I may have made it almost a bit too hard, we almost didn't make it, but we're not playing a campaign or anything so we'll just restart next time. 

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2023 at 3:14 PM, A3M0N said:

OK, I really won't make a post about every game we play, but... My son asked for a dungeon for our 2nd game, so I used some advice here and there, mostly the 5 room dungeon formula. Used some cultists, kobolds, zombies, 2 traps, and a "necromancer" (basically an acolyte with a bit higher AC and HP) for simple story. It was pretty funny to see his face when he killed a zombie only for it to use undead fortitude and stay at 1 HP. I may have made it almost a bit too hard, we almost didn't make it, but we're not playing a campaign or anything so we'll just restart next time. 

Technically you can change this up on the fly. My husband does this when our very immature adult group kills the NPCs.. 🙄

You could make the zombie get caught in a trap or something. 

You just gauge the group dynamic and the decisions as you go. I would not be good at it. I’m too structured, like checklists, etc.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 12:14 PM, A3M0N said:

There is an episode of yu-gi-oh based around a maze dungeon and a gate guardian... might be some fun inspiration for you. 🙂

I think it's on netflix still, so easy to watch.  The premise of it is basically trying to solve a riddle about which door to go through and a specific type of challenge.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 11:15 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

There is an episode of yu-gi-oh based around a maze dungeon and a gate guardian... might be some fun inspiration for you.

Interesting. I've never watched any yu-gi-oh. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 12:15 PM, A3M0N said:

Interesting. I've never watched any yu-gi-oh. 

Episode is 3 parts long, called the "double trouble duel"

Part 1: https://www.yugioh.com/yu-gi-oh/double-trouble-duel-part-1/201
Part 2: https://www.yugioh.com/yu-gi-oh/double-trouble-duel-part-2/202
Part 3: https://www.yugioh.com/yu-gi-oh/double-trouble-duel-part-3/190

Edited by nabokovfan87
added links
  • Like 1