Green Neon Tetra

Cinnebuns

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrtate = 40

I got 12 green neon tetras Feb 13th. I know the exact date because it was my birthday!  I just noticed tone with an almost fully missing tail. Later i notced another one hiding also missing most of its tail. I did a head count and counted 10. Is it possible they are being picked off by other fish or even each other?  It is over stocked right now. I have plans to rehome the gourami. 

29 gallon stocking:

12 panda cories

3 pearl gourami

3 hillstream loaches

3 otos

4 pseudomugil furcata 

(Added 2 weeks after getting the tetras)

4 pseudomugil gerturdea 

4 pseudomugil luminatus 

(Added 3 days ago) 

3 yoyo loaches 

I'm going to set up a hospital tank with salt for now. Any ideas what might be going on?   Any other tips?  This is my first experience with tetras of any kind so idk maybe I'm doing something wrong too. 

My guess tbh is over stocked = stress = nipping and such but idk. I was planning on posting the pearl gourami tonight anyway. 

Edit to add another question:  I did put the 2 with missing tails in a hospital tank with salt. I added 2 others so they feel more secure with more of their kind. Would it be best for me to grab the whole school?

20230316_205557.jpg

20230316_205620.jpg

20230316_211815.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

They are zippy things. Are you positive you only saw that many? I usually can count 8-9 of my 10 cardinal. But then I come back and can count all ten. Green neons are soooo hard to see against green. 

Gourami, from what I read, might be your source? The males, I read, can be aggressive, but even then, pearls are supposed to be one of the most peaceful of the species. 

On 3/16/2023 at 9:52 PM, Miska said:

Are you positive you only saw that many?

They are staying still. That's the other thing. They haven't been swimming around too much lately. 

On 3/16/2023 at 9:52 PM, Miska said:

Gourami, from what I read, might be your source? The males, I read, can be aggressive, but even then, pearls are supposed to be one of the most peaceful of the species. 

Pearls are very peaceful. Also, I just made another post but now I noticed an issue with the male. 

The bows do get very excited at feeding time. I'm actually leaning towards it being them. 

@Colu gonna tag you here and the gourami post too

On 3/16/2023 at 10:03 PM, Miska said:

Aww. Well I hope you figure it out! NGT are sooooo cute. I'd be worried too. 

Now the one with the worst tail I found being sucked into the filter. I do have a pre-filter sponge but apparently there's slits above it. It was halfway in. I rescued it and put it in the hospital tank but it's not looking good for it. 

• Sad 1

That looks more like an injury but I couldn't rule an aggressive bacterial infection what I would do is add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons and do a course of maracyn2 or kanaplex from my experience with pearl gouramis my pair were very peaceful I kept them with black skirt Tetra's penguin Tetra's and cherry barb's only time mine got a bit aggressive when they were breeding   @Cinnebuns

Edited by Colu

On 3/17/2023 at 6:32 AM, Colu said:

That looks more like an injury but I couldn't rule an aggressive bacterial infection what I would do is add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons and do a course of maracyn2 or kanaplex from my experience with pearl gouramis my pair were very peaceful I kept them with black skirt Tetra's penguin Tetra's and cherry barb's only time mine got a bit aggressive when they were breeding   @Cinnebuns

With more thought I agree it's likely injury. I think the yoyo loaches I got aren't very friendly. 

It could be yoyo but my yoyo never bothered cardinals. It could also be bacteria - one thing you could do as a test is put some of the green in another aquarium (if you have an extra) and see what happens after 2 or 3 weeks - consider it qt'ing. I will say that yoyo should be kept in larger groups and they will get large so they require a larger aquarium - at least 4 feet long - 75 would be good - they also like strong current (as do most loaches). A 29 is definitely too small for your stocking when they reach adult size. My yoyo are over 5 inches long and pearl gourami can also get fairly large - though i don't think they are as active as yoyo. To be honest a 29 would be more suitable for kuhli like loaches (8 or 9 common species); rosy (but i think they require special treatment - you would need to read up on them; dwarf chain are small but can be quite active and a 40 would be better for their level of activity; zebra loaches are smaller than yoyo (around 4 inches) and not quite as active but still a 29 is pushing it for a group of 6 - they can also be very shy but are more passive and quite lovely (imho); i guess hillstream loaches but they also are a bit more fragile. A 29 just doesn't offer a lot of swimming room. I guess of the torpedo like loaches zebra would be the only one i would risk in a 29 but i just think it is on the small side even for them. Of course when I buy yoyo i usually put them in a 29 for the first 3 or 4 months to let them get a bit of size before moving them into a bigger aquarium and they are fun at that small size - with my larger ones i have with clown and zebra and at night they will all collect and school together - drives the angels nuts but they never directly bother them (they don't even bother trying to get the angels eggs or frys).

Edited by anewbie