Cinderblock Stand Question

Andrew Puhr

I am planning on setting up a cinderblock stand to hold four 75 gallon tanks. I currently have a dual cinderblock stand for 2 of them and was thinking of reusing the wood 4 pieces (2 x 8 x 5') instead of 2 pieces (2 x 8 x 10') for the lower row. I just wanted to see if that was going to be a problem. I am leaning towards no as long as the cut is centered on the middle cinderblock set but I am sure it would be stronger as one whole 10 foot piece. 

If the joint between the boards will be fully supported by cinder blocks, and it sounds like it will, I don't see where it would hurt.  By the way, you probably already know this, but be sure to place the cinder blocks with the holes going from top to bottom and not side to side.  They're much stronger that way.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 3:03 PM, JettsPapa said:

but be sure to place the cinder blocks with the holes going from top to bottom and not side to side.  They're much stronger that way.

please explain.

there is more surface area on the ground for the blocks being horizontal as appose to being vertical.

On 3/9/2023 at 2:35 PM, Theplatymaster said:

please explain.

there is more surface area on the ground for the blocks being horizontal as appose to being vertical.

With them set the way I described there is continuous support all the way around the block and through the center.  With them lying on their sides there is less, and they will crush easier.  Surface area on the ground is meaningless if it's not weight-bearing, and it isn't if there's a void above it.

• Like 4

On 3/10/2023 at 8:33 AM, Robert Keeney said:

If you use blocks with the holes vertical, you get the full strength of the block. If the holes are horizontal only the vertical dividers are providing support.

Thank you.  You explained it better than I did.

• Like 2