Hospital Tank

Louise02

It is the best to keep an extra sponge filter running in one of your tanks to use whenever needed. So you will always have a filter with beneficial bacteria you can use anytime, for a new tank, hospital tank, fry tank, whenever and wherever you want!

Other than that, you don't need to have a seperate tank set up all the time. Usually an established filter can handle an okay amount of fish introduced.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2

I have a 15 gallon for my  hospital tank setup all the time I usually remove some cycled media from my main tank when I add fish if they need quarantining or treating or you could have a 5 or a 10 gallon tank put to one side and set it up when you need it adding cycled media from your main tank

I keep it up for a week or two after my patient has been moved out.  In case the patient regresses (has happened to me before).

I ghost feed the tank if it is empty.  Then everything in the hospital tank and the tank itself gets sanitized to kill whatever bad stuff was in there. Solution of hot water and 10% bleach*, 15 minute soak - every single thing that has touched that water as well as buckets.  Then I rinse 3 times in tap water.  Air dry.

*Bleach is removed with the rinse afterwards; it also gasses off as the stuff dries.  If in the off chance any bleach residue remains, dechlorinator gets rid of it when you fill the tank for next use.

On 3/8/2023 at 5:38 AM, Lennie said:

It is the best to keep an extra sponge filter running in one of your tanks to use whenever needed

This is what I do also, for a quick hospital setup next time.

On 3/8/2023 at 7:32 AM, Colu said:

adding cycled media from your main tank

👍

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1