Fish meds

knee

Was wondering if there's some specific meds I should always have on hand in case of any random sickness or for new fish that might be sick?

I currently have Expel-P, Metroplex, Kanaplex, Funglus Clear fizz tabs, pimafix and melafix. 

I also have aquarium salt and epsom salt.

@knee Are you in the US? I keep the trio (Ich-X, Maracyn, and Paracleanse) on hand as well as aquarium salt. 

When I had an ich outbreak (thankfully the Hatchetfish were still in quarantine) I used salt to beat it. 

When my Bristlenose Pleco had a weird cyst on her face I used Indian Almond Leaves and mild aquarium salt to beat it. 

When my Angelfish had Camallanus Red Worms I bought and used Expel-P to beat it. 

Im my almost 3 years in the hobby those are the three active infections I’ve encountered and beat. 

Mostly, the trio is for the start of the quarantine process (Meds marinate for a week, but then I continue to quarantine for another 3-5 weeks for good measure) but it’s nice to know I have meds if I need them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2023 at 1:42 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@knee Are you in the US? I keep the trio (Ich-X, Maracyn, and Paracleanse) on hand as well as aquarium salt. 

Mostly, the trio is for the start of the quarantine process (Meds marinate for a week, but then I continue to quarantine for another 3-5 weeks for good measure) but it’s nice to know I have meds if I need them. 

Yes I'm located in socal. I don't have the trio but will definitely add that to my list.

For the maracyn, is there a difference between the regular maracyn and maracyn oxy?

For paracleanse, is that the same as seachem paraguard? 

You  have  a good selection I would add prazipro and ick X maracyn2 with the other medications you already have that will treat most of the commonly encountered bacterial and parasitic infections I wouldn't recommend primafix or melafix there not very effect treatments for anything more serious there more like a mild antiseptic treatment 

On 3/6/2023 at 9:49 PM, knee said:

For the maracyn, is there a difference between the regular maracyn and maracyn oxy

Maracyn active ingredient is erythromycin is antibiotic treatment that's more effective at treating gram positive bacterial infections while maracyn oxy active ingredient is sodium chlorite that's more effective at treating fungal infections 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2023 at 1:50 PM, Colu said:

You  have  a good selection I would add prazipro and ick X maracyn2 with the other medications you already have that will treat most of the commonly encountered bacterial and parasitic infections I wouldn't recommend primafix or melafix there not very effect treatments for anything more serious there more like a mild antiseptic treatment 

Maracyn active ingredient is erythromycin is antibiotic treatment tha more effective at treating gram negative bacterial infections while maracyn oxy active ingredient is sodium chlorite that more effective at treating fungal infections 

Why are there so many maracyns 😅

Should I have maracyn 2 and maracyn oxy on hand? 

On 3/6/2023 at 1:38 PM, knee said:

I currently have Expel-P, Metroplex, Kanaplex, Funglus Clear fizz tabs, pimafix and melafix. 

I also have aquarium salt and epsom salt.

1.  Both types of salt
2.  Ich-X
-Fungus
3.  Erythromycin (Maracyn or API)
-Gram positive bacterial
4.  Kanaplex (Seachem)
-Gram negative bacterial
5.  Paracleanse / General cure
-White worms / flukes
6.  Expel-P
-roundworms

On 3/6/2023 at 1:49 PM, knee said:

For the maracyn, is there a difference between the regular maracyn and maracyn oxy?

yes there's a difference.  Maracyn is the same as API Erythromycin

On 3/6/2023 at 1:49 PM, knee said:

For paracleanse, is that the same as seachem paraguard? 

Paracleanse = general cure = 250 mg metronidazole and 75 mg praziquantel.
Paraguard looks to be a bit closer to malachite green

ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available (for parasites on fish). Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot).

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 2:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

1.  Both types of salt
2.  Ich-X
-Fungus
3.  Erythromycin (Maracyn or API)
-Gram positive bacterial
4.  Kanaplex (Seachem)
-Gram negative bacterial
5.  Paracleanse / General cure
-White worms / flukes
6.  Expel-P
-roundworms

if the kanaplex can handle gram negative then I can just get maracyn for the gram positive right? 

I currently added to my cart Maracyn, Ich x and paracleanse

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:57 PM, knee said:

if the kanaplex can handle gram negative then I can just get maracyn for the gram positive right? 

I currently added to my cart Maracyn, Ich x and paracleanse

Yep.  The API one dissolves a little better, but just pay attention to the tanks you want to use it on, as well as how often you need to dose it per treatment.  You'll use a lot more than you think.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2023 at 10:01 PM, knee said:

Why are there so many maracyns 😅

Should I have maracyn 2 and maracyn oxy on hand? 

What I like to have on hand is kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone for more serious bacterial infections such as columnaris maracyn2 is good alternative antibiotic treatment to kanaplex for gram negative bacteria it a more effective medication than kanaplex when added to food as it easily adsorbed by the intestinal tract it good for treating epistylis I would have maracyn on hand for gram positive bacteria and  metroplex treats anaerobic bacterial infections and hexamita the parasite associated with hole in the head  infections if you have Ick X you won't need maracyn oxy as Ick X treats the same types of fungal infections as maracyn oxy 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Colu @nabokovfan87

Thank you for all the information.

I got maracyn, maracyn 2, paracleanse and ich x. 

On 3/6/2023 at 3:03 PM, Colu said:

maracyn2 is good alternative antibiotic treatment to kanaplex for gram negative bacteria it a more effective medication than kanaplex when added to food as it easily adsorbed by the intestinal tract it good for treating epistylis

Regarding feeding medicated food, I also got focus and garlic guard when I got kanaplex and metroplex (they came as a pack). 

I know focus is used to bind the meds to food, so can I use focus with maracyn2 if ever I decided to feed medicated? Or will focus only work with kanaplex?

On 3/6/2023 at 11:57 PM, knee said:

@Colu @nabokovfan87

Thank you for all the information.

I got maracyn, maracyn 2, paracleanse and ich x. 

Regarding feeding medicated food, I also got focus and garlic guard when I got kanaplex and metroplex (they came as a pack). 

I know focus is used to bind the meds to food, so can I use focus with maracyn2 if ever I decided to feed medicated? Or will focus only work with kanaplex?

Yes you can I  stopped adding kanaplex to food because it's poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract metroplex and maracyn2 very effective when added to food you can use focus with all the  powdered medication you have  he's some medicated food recipe I use for metroplex and maracyn2 

IMG_20230115_234815.jpg

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect

On 3/6/2023 at 4:04 PM, Colu said:

Yes you can I  stopped adding kanaplex to food because it's poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract metroplex and maracyn2 very effective when added to food you can use focus all the medication powered medication you have  he's some medicated food recipe I use for metroplex and maracyn2 

I saved the photos for future reference. I really appreciate it 🙂

Last question, do you refrigerate the garlic guard bottle? It says on the seachem website that it does not expire and no need for refrigeration but I still wanna hear from people that actually used it.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:15 AM, knee said:

I saved the photos for future reference. I really appreciate it 🙂

Last question, do you refrigerate the garlic guard bottle? It says on the seachem website that it does not expire and no need for refrigeration but I still wanna hear from people that actually used it.

I have never kept it in the fridge it always been fine 

On 3/6/2023 at 3:57 PM, knee said:

General use binder. Think gelatin in terms of repashy food. It's what makes it stick together.

There's 1-2 seachem meds I wish I had better access to. But you've got a great selection for if anything happens.

The other two for me are polyguard and neoplex.