show off your mystery snails!

Theplatymaster

On 3/3/2023 at 9:09 PM, Theplatymaster said:

thanks all for your pictures, i will probably go to the LFS this weekend and just watch the snail tank for an hour and see if i can get a active one in the colors that i like.

Get two! Let them be friends.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:24 PM, Theplatymaster said:

im not sure if that will fit my budget, and @Chick-In-Of-TheSeahas said they have high bioloads, so i dont know if my tank can support 2, though i use lots of plants and do many water changes, if im lucky i could get a pair.

They have a high bioload indeed. They eat and poop a lot. But also they are very active and they are big in size. I think they are more suitable for 20g+ personally. They are everywhere in the tank in minutes, pretty fast!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 1:47 PM, Lennie said:

They have a high bioload indeed. They eat and poop a lot. But also they are very active and they are big in size. I think they are more suitable for 20g+ personally. They are everywhere in the tank in minutes, pretty fast!

ive got a 20gallon tank.

i still think ill just get 1.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:51 PM, Theplatymaster said:

the reason id get 2 would be to breed them, id want to study the genetics of it. (also give me another livestock to bring into my LFS)

It would be a pure luck based, unless your lfs will let you hold the ones you like, so they need to come out of their shell and lean forward so you can see their backside to see whether they are males or females, which I assume unlikely to be let to do so in a store 😄

like this:

r/AquaticSnails - Here's some information on second mystery snails.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:57 PM, Lennie said:

It would be a pure luck based, unless your lfs will let you hold the ones you like, so they need to come out of their shell and lean forward so you can see their backside to see whether they are males or females, which I assume unlikely to be let to do so in a store 😄

thats why it will take a while to choose one, id only get one id see climbling up the glass, they have a bunch of shells on the bottom of the tank, and im unsure how healthy those snails are.

Yea. Sad story. It was the case when I got Rick and Morty too. Morty's tank was full of dead shells.

Highly advice to prepare a snello before getting one, if possible. They were starving when I got them home, both directly attacked to snello in minutes after acclimation!

Can't believe how much they have grown in less than a month.

image.jpeg.b483d03a35babbc90f5b863d8af0b27d.jpegimage.jpeg.4d8f5c727fb51be480352fa3b6358f7b.jpeg

• Love 1

On 3/3/2023 at 2:03 PM, Lennie said:

Highly advice to prepare a snello before getting one, if possible. They were starving when I got them home, both directly attacked to snello in minutes after acclimation!

i dont have the ingrediants for that food, i have repashy but not the calcium carbonate (does this go by a different name that i dont know?) or the frozen foods ( can i substitute with FD?). @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/3/2023 at 3:00 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i dont have the ingrediants for that food, i have repashy but not the calcium carbonate (does this go by a different name that i dont know?) or the frozen foods ( can i substitute with FD?). @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Not sure what you mean by FD. Have a food on hand containing calcium (ie: Hikari crab cuisine). You can give them sinking fish food for protein. And you can give algae wafer or boiled veggie for the vegetable. The thing that will last the longest in your tank is the boiled veggie. They eat the prepared foods pretty quickly. The protein is for their operculum. The calcium for their shell. And the veggie for vitamins and nutrition

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1