show off your mystery snails!

Theplatymaster

On 3/3/2023 at 11:12 PM, Theplatymaster said:

do they have a preferred vegetable to be fed in an unprocessed form?

It is a hit or miss. Carrots, pumpkin, zucchini, green beans, peas, collard greens, spinach, broccoli, turnip greens and many more. I would say no to cucumber, some people mention their snails getting addicted to eat it. Spinach rarely, although it has calcium, it also blocks calcium intake aswell.

They all like different stuff, you gotta try and see!

Just organic, no pesticide or salt/additives is the key. Peel anything you can to be safe just in case no matter what.

I use powdered eggshells for calcium in my snellos btw. No calc carb here too. I use agar agar as a binder instead of gelatin. Snellos are really easy to play around, based on what you have!

Edited by Lennie

On 3/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’ve done both with plecos - I gave them both the hot water treatment. 

thats interesting, ive put frozen peas in warm water for my platies before, they loved that, i dont know if the MS will because everyone says Blanched and Boiled.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:33 PM, Theplatymaster said:

do they need to be fresh, or can i defrost frozen in hot water?

No need to be fresh! You can just blanch it to make sure they sink and that's all. They love green beans! but not the beans inside. They like the inner side of the green been shell? Or whatever it is called. So when feeding green beans, open it on half and take the beans out, they don't eat it.

Mine don't like peas and brocoli. After having no success with them I dont feed them. But you should open pea shell as well so they eat the yum inside, as far as I know.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:44 PM, Theplatymaster said:

so take that and blanch it, or just drop it in?

Snails like their food a bit mushier, in my experience. Blanching makes it softer, also helps veggies to sink. Otherwise, if you don't blanch they will just float on top unless you clip it/fork it/ whatever

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 11:26 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Don’t they like Repashy etc?

They eat pretty much everything tbh. But they eat so fast. Meanwhile when they have veggies/snello in the tank, they eat it, then do their stuff and keep coming back and forth and eat it all the time. They love to be able to eat whenever they want, and veggies seem to last much longer as @Chick-In-Of-TheSea mentioned. Think like nerite snails grazing behavior, but these guys are not effectively grazing on anything but generally on an adventure to find food constantly in the tank 😄

Edited by Lennie

On 3/3/2023 at 1:57 PM, Lennie said:

It would be a pure luck based, unless your lfs will let you hold the ones you like, so they need to come out of their shell and lean forward so you can see their backside to see whether they are males or females, which I assume unlikely to be let to do so in a store 😄

what should i be looking for on the backside?

On 3/3/2023 at 9:57 PM, Lennie said:

It would be a pure luck based, unless your lfs will let you hold the ones you like, so they need to come out of their shell and lean forward so you can see their backside to see whether they are males or females, which I assume unlikely to be let to do so in a store 😄

like this:

r/AquaticSnails - Here's some information on second mystery snails.

I shared the pic before.

Their right back. Males have a penis sheath, females have nothing. Not left, they all have siphon there.

I have been able to see mine without pulling them out of the tank. They sometimes make weird turns in the tank around the glass which makes it visible.

I would say do not disturb it for some time just to learn the gender tho. Changing environment and water is a stress factor alone anyway