Eggshell snail repair - super glue question

Confetto

Zamboni's shell has a chip & cracked. I looked online and it would seem the membrane of an eggshell can serve as a bandaid. I read you can apply the membrane with super glue gel

Has anyone done this?

I know you can use super glue gel to adhere plants to hardscapes. I'm assuming the same gel can be used on my snail. I have The Original Super Glue gel brand on hand. The plan is to adhere the membrane along the crack and use a bit of the eggshell as a patch over the chip. 

Currently struggling with the levels in my fish tank. My pH is 6.6/6.8 and the water is reading on the acidic side. (If it's not one thing with this tank is another) I have been treating the tank with Imaginariums ph Enhancer and I've also put some baking soda in the water to add calcium. Zamboni enjoys dropping from hardscapes and frogbit in my aquarium, so I assume his shell is weakened and he was injured in a fall. 

IMG_20230302_114740277.jpg

On 3/2/2023 at 12:08 PM, lefty o said:

i cant say whether its a good idea or not, but super glue was originally developed as a replacement for sutures for people, so..............

Right?!?!

Three videos and two articles say it can be done. I check here as this community has always been so very helpful when I have had an issue with my tank. 

I recommend doing nothing. I’ve been breeding mysteries for a few years. I currently have a girl with similar and she repaired her own. You can see where it eventually grew back together. I have another with mating damage similar done 7 months ago who is fine also. 

74E0CD89-961B-4F1A-9085-6A12C4E723E1.jpeg

• Like 2

Baking soda may increase KH, but I don't think it provides calcium. Be careful with using baking soda no matter what. It can increase kh pretty hard from what I've heard, even in small amounts.

Rick had a damage once on the end of it's shell as well but he repaired himself. Idk about crack going through whole shell. How's your snail acting afterall?

Maybe you can see the damaged part repaired itself on Rick's shell upper side.

image.jpeg.49cd59c2fd3218250a514a6606f9f948.jpeg

Also @Chick-In-Of-TheSea, @Guppysnail. Maybe you guys have any experience

@Guppysnail you were one minute faster than me tagging you! 😄

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:33 PM, Lennie said:

Baking soda may increase KH, but I don't think it provides calcium. Be careful with using baking soda no matter what. It can increase kh pretty hard from what I've heard, even in small amounts.

Rick had a damage once on the end of it's shell as well but he repaired himself. Idk about crack going through whole shell. How's your snail acting afterall?

Maybe you can see the damaged part repaired itself on Rick's shell upper side.

image.jpeg.49cd59c2fd3218250a514a6606f9f948.jpeg

Also @Chick-In-Of-TheSea, @Guppysnail. Maybe you guys have any experience

@Guppysnail you were one minute faster than me tagging you! 😄

Rick is so handsome 😍

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:42 PM, Guppysnail said:

DA4FE42F-D5CC-4BD9-8B42-8FACC62B69B6.jpeg

I tried the ZooMed nano food blocks - mine were pinkish. Within a few days of putting one block in, I started getting water mold forming at the bottom of my tank. A few days after that my Betta's gills & belly swole. Since then I have had nothing but issue after issue. Like I mentioned, I'm trying to get the pH up and the alkalinity under control. I do have soft water however my local fish store where I bought my mystery snail said it would be fine. 

Guppysnail you recommend doing nothing. I have already boiled the egg shells so should I just grind them up and toss that in the tank for calcium? Believe me, my children officially labeled me as nuts when they asked about the egg shells on the stove and I said I was creating snail Band-Aids. I told them I wasn't going to do anything until I posted in the co-op to be sure this absurdity was correct. 

Why is this so hard?

On 3/2/2023 at 3:26 PM, Confetto said:

I tried the ZooMed nano food blocks - mine were pinkish. Within a few days of putting one block in, I started getting water mold forming at the bottom of my tank. A few days after that my Betta's gills & belly swole. Since then I have had nothing but issue after issue. Like I mentioned, I'm trying to get the pH up and the alkalinity under control. I do have soft water however my local fish store where I bought my mystery snail said it would be fine. 

Guppysnail you recommend doing nothing. I have already boiled the egg shells so should I just grind them up and toss that in the tank for calcium? Believe me, my children officially labeled me as nuts when they asked about the egg shells on the stove and I said I was creating snail Band-Aids. I told them I wasn't going to do anything until I posted in the co-op to be sure this absurdity was correct. 

Why is this so hard?

Yes I would just put them in. Often egg band aids are when a center hole appears and exposes the snail so it’s fix it or the snail may perish. On the edge is where the growth occurs. 
It’s a life saving technique only. Any drop of glue that hits the actual snail would be disastrous. On the growth edge it may retard or prevent further growth. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 10:53 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Rick is so handsome 😍

You made him blush.

He is ready to steal the heart of your girls ;D Do mystery snails get closer to wild colors if different color breed, like shrimps?

image.jpeg.ac9c45e00677047dba6291a781de6c58.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 1:13 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How’s Morty doing? @Lennie

I sent you a pm today about him. He is acting funny. Closing up a lot lately. Everything testing perfectly fine. Did a water change just in case. Feeding twice a day including snello.

Idk what is up with him. He opened up today after 3 days but an hour ago I checked the tank and he dropped himself to ground again and closed up.

There is literally nothing can potentially bully him in the tank too. Rick does not give a duck about him. I'm lost.

On 3/2/2023 at 5:17 PM, Lennie said:

I sent you a pm today about him. He is acting funny. Closing up a lot lately. Everything testing perfectly fine. Did a water change just in case. Feeding twice a day including snello.

Idk what is up with him. He opened up today after 3 days but an hour ago I checked the tank and he dropped himself to ground again and closed up.

There is literally nothing can potentially bully him in the tank too. Rick does not give a duck about him. I'm lost.

Oh sorry, I’ll take a look. For some reason it didn’t notify me.

• Like 1