What's your best algae eaters ?

Flying fox 6523

On 2/24/2023 at 4:45 PM, Pepere said:

I don’t know that I would call them the best Algae eaters, but American Flag Fish are pretty good Algae eaters eating types that other fish won’t.

And unlike Otocinculus you dont have to fret if there is no Algae in the tank.  Flag fish will happily feed any food you choose to ad to the tank.

I enjoy keeping them…

Yea your right I've checked some videos on them & I'm 
on the fence with them, can you tell me your thoughts ?

On 2/24/2023 at 4:45 PM, Pepere said:

I don’t know that I would call them the best Algae eaters, but American Flag Fish are pretty good Algae eaters eating types that other fish won’t.

And unlike Otocinculus you dont have to fret if there is no Algae in the tank.  Flag fish will happily feed any food you choose to ad to the tank.

I enjoy keeping them…

Totally new to whole forum and fish keeping for that matter.  over the past year ... the fleet has grown to 10 now haha...   the 75 gal has never... yes you read that right... never had algae issue... sounds far fetched but true (very long cycle process with a seasoned birch log)   is heavily stocked,  angels 4, guppy 20 ish (they make great live angel fish food), 8 otto, 1 SAE, 4 cory, 6 kuhli loach,  a tank with MANY  plants. Not sure why this is working but it is.  the other tanks i rely on the borneo loaches... miraculous little critters they are 🙂  hope this helps... powers to be know i'm no expert. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, Pepere said:

One tank has 4 killi fish, 12 green neon tetras, 3 kuhli loaches, and 6 emerald green corydoras.

the other tank has some emerald cories and 6 Serpae Tetra.

I originally had a neon Blue Dwarf Gourami in a tank with 3 of them, and the Gourami was bullying them.  I never saw them as they were hiding all of the time.

I moved the Dwarf Gourami to tank with no flag fish and only small fish so he can be boss and not feel challenged by any fish near his size.

Both tanks have 1 male and 2 female flag fish.

I have heard people say Flag Fish are aggressive especially when spawning.  Mine are not.  They have never bothered anyone and when spawning they are too preoccupied with each other to even notice any other fish..

I have been happy with them.  On occasion I will notice a bit of algae starting and I simply dont feed the tank for a day or two.   They usually have it cleaned up by then.

I reward the tank with some frozen blood worms and hatched baby brine shrimp afterwards….

see my other response above on their temperament for me.

I've been watching other videos of the fla flag fish & they seem pretty easy 
to think about putting in the tank & they be the only fish in the tank till 
they have fry or not, I'm more into just having the females & no males.

On 2/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, Mvisum said:

Totally new to whole forum and fish keeping for that matter.  over the past year ... the fleet has grown to 10 now haha...   the 75 gal has never... yes you read that right... never had algae issue... sounds far fetched but true (very long cycle process with a seasoned birch log)   is heavily stocked,  angels 4, guppy 20 ish (they make great live angel fish food), 8 otto, 1 SAE, 4 cory, 6 kuhli loach,  a tank with MANY  plants. Not sure why this is working but it is.  the other tanks i rely on the borneo loaches... miraculous little critters they are 🙂  hope this helps... powers to be know i'm no expert. 

With what fish you listed you have a full army of tank cleaners 
where algae doesn't have a chance to get started that's sorta 
what I'm looking at doing in my 75 gal aquarium, thank you.❤

On 2/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, Mvisum said:

If it's working, don't try to fix it!  Welcome to the forum.

On 2/25/2023 at 6:34 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

With what fish you listed you have a full army of tank cleaners 
where algae doesn't have a chance to get started that's sorta 
what I'm looking at doing in my 75 gal aquarium, thank you.❤

They may not fit your size requirement, but my best algae eaters are the SAEs.  They never stop eating.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 10:37 AM, Tanked said:

If it's working, don't try to fix it!  Welcome to the forum.

They may not fit your size requirement, but my best algae eaters are the SAEs.  They never stop eating.

Yea I'm not in no big rush to do anything right now, I'm 
trying to get rid of whatever it is I done caught from 
god knows where, I haven't been sick in years & now 
I'm feeling like I done got a healthy cold or something 
since the train derailed in Ohio a few wks ago & I live 
just 5 hrs. in Indiana from the place where it happened.

• Like 1