Ghost shrimp

alcidmr

I got 5 ghost shrimp because I wanted to start with cheap shrimp in my tank first timer and it been about 2 weeks and my shrimps turn white and have green stuff under there bellys exap one is clear and whith green stuff under and one small one has noting and it's clear is it normal for them to turn white 

Screenshot_20230222_181642_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230222_175444_Gallery.jpg

On 2/22/2023 at 6:51 PM, alcidmr said:

I got 5 ghost shrimp because I wanted to start with cheap shrimp in my tank first timer and it been about 2 weeks and my shrimps turn white and have green stuff under there bellys exap one is clear and whith green stuff under and one small one has noting and it's clear is it normal for them to turn white 

Green stuff could be a type of disease. Unfortunately. 😞

White could be an indication of a bacterial disease as well.

Unfortunately they are slightly more expensive, but I do recommend amano shrimp for their ability to handle a bit more.

...... alright, so what you would need to do if this is a disease is treat the tank for the two indicated diseases. We need to start at square one and check everything. Ghost shrimp are very fragile and so there is a risk here. If you want to add shrimp to the tank in future you'd want to treat the tank for that reason as well.

https://aquariumbreeder.com/understanding-dwarf-shrimp-diseases-and-parasites/

The green things are called ellobiopsidae

On 2/22/2023 at 6:56 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

The green stuff is eggs. And I have seen them turn opaque white just before a molt. They won’t molt until the shrimplets have hatched that might explain the creaminess of the white.

Definitely could be the case as well. 100%

I've attached the video above and details on shrimp diseases. Hopefully it's nothing there and just more baby shrimp!

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2023 at 2:02 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Green stuff could be a type of disease. Unfortunately. 😞

White could be an indication of a bacterial disease as well.

Unfortunately they are slightly more expensive, but I do recommend amano shrimp for their ability to handle a bit more.

...... alright, so what you would need to do if this is a disease is treat the tank for the two indicated diseases. We need to start at square one and check everything. Ghost shrimp are very fragile and so there is a risk here. If you want to add shrimp to the tank in future you'd want to treat the tank for that reason as well.

https://aquariumbreeder.com/understanding-dwarf-shrimp-diseases-and-parasites/

The green things are called ellobiopsidae

Definitely could be the case as well. 100%

I've attached the video above and details on shrimp diseases. Hopefully it's nothing there and just more baby shrimp!

Will keep an eye on it